Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

iframes and SilverStripe - and some other thoughts

Go to End

2 Posts   1473 Views

steve_nyhof

Community Member, 224 Posts

19 May 2008 at 5:34am

Edited: 19/05/2008 5:39am

I am hoping that SilverStripe can be used for my needs. Can anyone tell me if the following things can be accomplished with SilverStripe... Some of these I know it can, but I will just give you my list...

Most of my sites are designed with tables and css. I am looking forward to removing the tables and think I should be able to get the same look.

Very common header, typically a top and 2nd level side navigation and content area.

Under the side navigation I typically have the name, address and contact info...
(can this be added as a widget that my clients can edit?)

iFrames (I know - a bad word) but I haven't figured out a work-a-round yet. From what I see in SilverStripe, there might be a way???
I have tried the iframe code talked about on the form but can't get it working (I'm sure I will) but I have more than just a call to an external file, see below...

This is what I use as it allows users to access the correct site and listing page from clicking on a link in an email sent to them or a friend... Continued below...

<IFRAME title="Home and property listings" id=myFrame frameBorder=0 width=100% height=2000></IFRAME>
<script>
function decodeQuery(query)
{
var params = {}; // prepare the map
if (query.length < 2) // zero characters or single '?' means no parameters
return params;
// cut '?' away:
query = query.slice(1);
var paramList=query.split('&'); // separate parameters
for(var i=0; i<paramList.length; i++) // enumerate them
{
var pair = paramList.split('=');
params[pair[0]]=pair[1];
}
return params;
}

var query=location.search; // get everything after question mark
var params = decodeQuery(query); // and turn into an indexable structure
var p = (params.id) // checking if 'id' is present
? '&action=more_details&id=' + params.id // if present, then ask for more details
: ''; // otherwise - don't.
var iframe = document.getElementById('myFrame');

iframe.src="http://www.sneserver.com/homelistings/index.php?BuilderID=197" + p;
</script>

Continued...
I use iFrames because I have many pages to navigate, but maybe with a module I could use an include function - Any thoughts?

I can make everything else work on SilverStripe I believe, but there has to be some ideas of creating or expanding on the iFrame module to make this work. Any ideas to give me hope? I will also be talking to my programmer tonight and will update that conversation here.

I also run a rotating image on the side of my sites...
http://threebridges-southhaven.com (you can view my iFrames on "Homes and Plans")
and even small iframes in the pages for a customer that wanted a different image each time you visit the page - I also am using a rotating image script in the template.
http://www.legacyhardwoods.com

With SilverStripe I think I can get away from some of these iframes and build some modules or widgets to do the same thing - any thoughts?

Thank you,
Steve

P.S. I should also tell you that these sites are built on SiteBuilder from SwSoft.com. I had to do a lot of modification to the templates to make this all work, but I have far too many issues and bugs that my clients are getting unhappy with the down time - I need something better and more custom. One thing the SiteBuilder does do, is drag in a module onto the page, I use the script module to add my iframes.

steve_nyhof

Community Member, 224 Posts

19 May 2008 at 11:10am

I modified the iFrames module and was able to get my iframe to show up. I even got a link for a sub menu, although not correct. I am still messing around to try and get this.

I have about 5 iFrame pages from my main site that I include in my clients sites - have connected this way with the home builders we draw house plans for - for about 7 years.

My question to make sure I am heading down the right road... Should I make a separate module (page) for each of these iframe pages so I can quickly add it to the site I am building? That's how I understand this - or is there a better way?