Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Bilingual Website - but where do I include the switch on the website??

2 Posts   1532 Views

mafalda

Community Member, 1 Post

29 May 2008 at 12:30pm

Edited: 29/05/2008 12:32pm

Hi all,
I am trying to install a website which works with two languages.
The translation in the admin area works fine. My basic language is German, the translation will be in English. I translated the home page for testing it.
Well, maybe I miss something... I published both pages. But how can I switch on the website from one language to the other? I'd like to let the user choose the language.

Thanks for any tipp! :)

Regarding to this another question: How will search engines handle this two language pages? Will every page have its own URL, like pagetitle-german/ and pagetitle-english/ or how will that work?

Thanks again!

lekoala

Community Member, 30 Posts

29 May 2008 at 7:43pm

Well, it's really easy to switch languages... just append ?lang=en (for English) at the end of the url...

It could be a link in your template that looks like

<a href="$URLSegment?lang=en">English version</a>

If you want to deal with locales as well, I recommend you to read this post :

http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/78360

I'm not quite sure about the search engine thing... you can set a specific page name for each language, although I'm not sure it's necessary from a seo perspective. You can have page-xx as a page name, then your link to switch language will look like...

<a href="$URLSegment-en?lang=en">English version</a>

I haven't tried but I don't see why it wouldn't work.