Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Is SilverStripe just CMS #201?? - No Wiki?

Go to End

19 Posts   12084 Views

Aaron

Community Member, 63 Posts

9 June 2008 at 5:58pm

I'm pretty sure Perry is talking about a Wiki module for the CMS, rather than a Wiki here on silverstripe.com.
I could be wrong though. If so, Perry should try http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php
Cheers
Aaron

PerryM

Community Member, 7 Posts

10 June 2008 at 1:14am

I find a group of folks who have something in common and simply provide a community for them to get together, chat, share experiences and knowledge, and eventually become a repository for that knowledge.

TikiWiki is the only thing out there that does this but I’m looking for a “Fresh” new face that looks like a more traditional corporate web site – with many pages that allow the seamless integration of all the parts to the community.

I have gone thru 200+ portal/CMS systems and none do this – yet. So I will continue to provide this service – the folks who use these sites have no idea that they are in TikiWiki – just something that allows them to participate EVERYWHERE – and that’s the key. Chit-chatting is fine and needed but these folks are accumulating knowledge to help them save money or become better at something.

They need an integrated Wiki or something similar.

I will return to SilverStripe in my annual review of the CMS world and maybe then it will be something my members can use. Sadly it now offers them nothing…

To give you just how simple the software can be look at http://www.phpfreechat.net/ (the CMS, not just the live chat room). Here the developer integrated the following:
1) DokuWiki
2) PunBB
3) phpFreeChat

That’s a great “core” and by adding article submission and newsletters it would be an unstoppable CMS – one that is fast and light.

If you could incorporate these parts seamlessly into SilverStirpe you can easily become #1.
Anyway, C U guys next year at this time…

Aaron

10 June 2008 at 9:49am

Are you serious Perry? Do you know what a CMS is? What you see in that website is NOT core of anything. That person or company has integrated several systems together but separately. In fact, I can't see that the Wiki and Forum share the same login.

Read this part carefully, as I have repeated it three times now: YOU CAN DO what that site does with any CMS, Silverstripe included. All you have to do is build the bridge if you want to use one login for all systems. (e.g. put a little effort in yourself and share it with the community).

You seem to be very confused as to what a CMS is. That website is NOT a CMS in the same way you would say Silverstripe is. That website is exactly that - a website, with a group of systems tied together seperately. It's not like you can go somewhere and download that same system all-in-one and away you go. That person probably worked hard to get it all going together. You are comparing a website that took time to build, with a CMS. You need to adjust the way you are thinking on this or you are in for a bad time.

The reason why you have been through 200+ CMS systems and found nothing that reaches your expectations, is because your expectations are unreasonable and I don't think you actually know what you are doing (if you think phpfreechat could be "an unstoppable CMS"). You want a solution that fits your particular needs out of the box without any effort on your part it seems.

We all review and choose a system based on a criteria, but most of us don't expect everything to be handed to us on a platter.

So I'm afraid that your search next year will most likely be just as fruitless. I'm inclined to tell you that you are wasting an enormous amount a time installing and reviewing 200+ systems if that is true.

Besides, If TikiWiki works, why not stick with it? Why not help develop it so it does everything you want and more? That's how open source works - Community effort.

Good luck with your search next year. I can see a frustrating future for you.
Aaron

PerryM

10 June 2008 at 1:46pm

Edited: 10/06/2008 1:48pm

TikiWiki does an excellent job as acting as a meeting place for my members. I really am looking for something that my wife can use on her web sites. She has no desire to “Geek it up” but to use something that exists, requires no php or mySQL knowledge or such “Tweaking”.

If I should find something that is a “TikiWiki Lite” I’d probably use it to when I need to bring up a community in a few hours and don’t want to “Baby sit” the site.

I guess I look at my quest in the same light as when I buy a new car – I don’t want to become a mechanic I simply want to use the car for transportation.

Chat rooms seem to be the “Leading edge” now and that’s fine if your community has little reason to do anything but chit-chat among themselves as a form of entertainment. As I said, my 100+ communities have a goal in mind – to learn and enrich their lives which usually means saving money and beating fellow consumers to the punch, be it getting something very scarce at an introductory price or to beat their fellow consumer to other goals (like dumping the stock/product before others).

Wiki is the natural end repository for all this but 5% of CMS have a Wiki – 95% just chit chat. I guess my members want more than the average chit-chatter out there and my job is to spend endless hours sniffing around places like this on the off chance of finding something that we can use. I get paid handsomely for my time.

Of course I use the principles that I preach – if I should find what I need I won’t tell a soul since it’s so hard to find it in the first place.

I’m not belittling SilverStirpe – it falls nicely into the 95% category; but I want more….

But, I'll be back in a year to see if you guys make it into that 5% that is of interest to me.

Aaron

10 June 2008 at 2:23pm

Of course I use the principles that I preach – if I should find what I need I won’t tell a soul since it’s so hard to find it in the first place.

You won't tell anyone but you expect to find what you are after in Open Source and post on an Open Source forum about why this particular project does not suit you? Boy oh boy. You aren't the sort of person that any Open Source project needs hanging around, I'm sorry.
IF you ever find what you are looking for, you won't need to tell anyone mate, because everyone will already be using and helping develop it well before the picky scavengers get to it.

Aaron

10 June 2008 at 2:27pm

I get paid handsomely for my time

I doubt that. People who get paid handsomely for their time either build a custom solution to their needs, or pay someone with knowledge to make it happen with what is currently available rather than spend time sifting through open source CMS systems and posting on their forums.

If I am wrong there, then that tells us all something different about you as a person. But I won't go there.

PerryM

10 June 2008 at 3:03pm

I’m not sure who the 200+ CMS are geared for – geeks or end users.

I’m a Geek in many worlds that have nothing to do with CMS – timeshares is an example. I use CMS to attract folks who are eager to learn about timeshares and get paid with AdSense, donations, and many other sources of income. Some of my communities have experts charging for their time on a Work Order type of system (Help system). These folks are sharp and before buying a $50,000 timeshare week they want a second opinion. It’s a win-win for everyone. The timeshare owner might decide to buy the same exact week resale for 1/2 the price, the expert saved the person $25,000 and got paid for their trouble and I, of course, get compensated for bringing these folks together.

Is this not the definition of a CMS where everyone wins who participates and those that don’t get the leftovers?

Anyway I’m an end user of the CMS of which 95% aren’t up to my needs and standards. I don’t pretend to be a CMS geek and simply know exactly what my members want and try to find it for them.

Sounds like I’ve struck a never here and that’s not my intent – I’m simply trying to present my CMS needs and SilverStripe isn’t in the 5% that meet those needs – today. I’m giving you guys feedback and you can do with it as you wish. If you take my suggestions then you might become part of my communities of folks enriching their lives via the Internet.

Aaron

10 June 2008 at 4:30pm

Edited: 10/06/2008 4:32pm

Is this not the definition of a CMS where everyone wins who participates and those that don’t get the leftovers? 

No, not that I've ever seen. Where did you get that from?

I will use the above comment to point out that you have not struck a nerve here, I'm not part of the devel team, nor am I a fanboy.

It's just that your ideal of what a CMS is/should be doesn't make sense. Hopefully you have posted on other CMS forums and had similar confusion and responses.

A CMS, in the context of projects like Silverstripe, Drupal and any other popular CMS system, is simply not what you think it is, or you want it to be.

I will say one final time, as you missed the previous 3 times I have said it: YOU NEED MULTIPLE SOLUTIONS TO DO WHAT YOU ARE ASKING EFFECTIVELY. A CMS, a forum, a wiki etc etc

There is no magical all-in-one system that does everything perfectly. If there was, none of the CMS projects above would exist.