Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

How do I have "special" pages were the content is generated by a PHP script?

5 Posts   1360 Views

MKayHavoc

Community Member, 33 Posts

3 June 2008 at 2:39am

Hi,

Might sound a bit strange, but I'm wondering how I can have pages on a site that are kind of managed by the CMS as in they appear in the navigation etc, but the content of the page is generated by a custom PHP script.

For example I have a script that generates a telephone directory and displays it, how would this integrate into the CMS?

Cheers

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

3 June 2008 at 8:27pm

just create a page type MyPage.php then create one of these in the CMS. Then in the MyPage_Controller you can overload a method called Content to set the content from your PHP Script instead of the Content from the CMS or use a MyPage template to send custom content

MKayHavoc

3 June 2008 at 9:02pm

OK, sound sensible. How do I create a custom page type?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

3 June 2008 at 9:14pm

Read the second tutorial so you have the understanding behind this but create a file named whatever for this example ill call it DirectoryPage.php. Create this in the mysite/code folder

<?php

class DirectoryPage extends Page {

static $db = array();

}
class DirectoryPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

function Content() {
// your php function
return $SomeText;
}

}

Then visit http://www.yoursite.com/db/build?flush=1. Next in the CMS you need to create a new page of type - DirectoryPage and you should have a custom page. Read tthe tutorials for a bigger overview

MKayHavoc

3 June 2008 at 9:27pm

Ah, that's great. OK, i'll read the tutorial for more details. Cheers.