Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Blog paragraph style

Go to End

6 Posts   3540 Views

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

9 June 2008 at 2:33am

Edited: 09/06/2008 2:36am

Hi. I'm almost completely new to PHP, CSS, etc. One item that irks me a little bit is that the blog doesn't insert spacing between paragraphs (it would be nice to have the text justified too). As a result, the paragraphs are not clearly visible, and the structure of the text is obscured.

Does anyone know what to change in order to insert spacing? I'd assume that simply putting <p> tags around each paragraph would work; I just have no idea how to achieve that.

Hans

EDIT: I just noticed that this forum doesn't insert paragraph spaces either. So would that make this a problem with the BBCode to HTML conversion?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 June 2008 at 6:19pm

By default the blog uses BBCode which as you pointed out appears to be the problem with no line breaks (instead of breaking it into p tags it adds <br/> in the white space - baddd!). I suggest unless you love BBCode you disable it by downloading the latest svn version of the blog module and adding BlogEntry::allow_wysiwyg_editing(); to your _Config.php file.

Now you should be able to use TinyMCE and that should format everything nicely!

HansR

10 June 2008 at 1:31am

Thanks. I've updated to the latest daily build and have reformatted the existing pages.

Just one minor item though, with BlogEntry::allow_wysiwyg_editing(); set, clicking on the "post a new blog" link still sends you to the BBCode style blog entry page (complete with the BBCode Help link). It would be nice to have the TinyMCE editor here, instead of having to post the blog entry and then edit it again in the admin pages.

Hans

Aaron

Community Member, 63 Posts

12 June 2008 at 6:36pm

Exactly what I'm after too. The front end blog management link (And edit) is a winner for clients I reckon, but totally unusable when it inserts BBCode.

I also noticed, on a fresh copy of 2.2.2 and today's daily build of blog, setting BlogEntry::allow_wysiwyg_editing(); completely removes the auto-except feature (for me at least). The entire blog entry appears in the blog holder. By default with no WYSIWYG activated, excepts are automatic it seems. (I added 5 paragraphs of Lorem Ipsum and it did a page break after the first - perfect).

Cheers
Aaron

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

7 July 2008 at 11:42am

Hi all,

Just to clear up some confusion: The same bbcode engine is used for both the blog and the forum, so the bug with newlines affects them both.

It will be fixed in 2.2.3; for those that want to track its progress for their own site, they can add themselves to the CC field here: http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/2521

HansR

8 July 2008 at 1:49pm

@Sam
Thanks. I see that it's already fixed on this forum.

Hans