Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Write Permissions Error

3 Posts   2236 Views

Chosen

Community Member, 4 Posts

10 June 2008 at 10:20pm

Hi there,

I've recently installed apache, php5 and mysql in ubuntu on my laptop for development purposes.

For my first project I decided to take a look at the silverstripe CMS.
I downloaded it put it in the www folder that I created for it and am now trying to install it. These are the remaining file access errors I'm getting before installation will continue.

Quote:
Is the .htaccess file writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/.htaccess
Is the mysite/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/mysite
Is the tutorial/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/tutorial
Is the assets/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/assets
How do I give write permission to this user and how do I create the "www-data" user if it does not exist already?

I'm new to linux so please don't assume I know where to find any files I might need to edit.

Thanks

Gareth

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

11 June 2008 at 1:54pm

Open up a terminal window and cd to where your www directory so something like cd /home/gareth/www/ and once you are there you can do a chmod 777 on the project folder.

Check out this for a nice tutorial on how to use chmod on unix/linux - http://catcode.com/teachmod/index.html

karlim

Community Member, 8 Posts

12 October 2008 at 8:22pm

but it still warn when the server is windows.
can u tell me what is the matter?