Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Write Permissions Error

Go to End

3 Posts   2966 Views

Chosen

Community Member, 4 Posts

10 June 2008 at 10:20pm

Hi there,

I've recently installed apache, php5 and mysql in ubuntu on my laptop for development purposes.

For my first project I decided to take a look at the silverstripe CMS.
I downloaded it put it in the www folder that I created for it and am now trying to install it. These are the remaining file access errors I'm getting before installation will continue.

Quote:
Is the .htaccess file writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/.htaccess
Is the mysite/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/mysite
Is the tutorial/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/tutorial
Is the assets/ folder writeable? User 'www-data' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/gareth/www/Insight/assets
How do I give write permission to this user and how do I create the "www-data" user if it does not exist already?

I'm new to linux so please don't assume I know where to find any files I might need to edit.

Thanks

Gareth

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 June 2008 at 1:54pm

Open up a terminal window and cd to where your www directory so something like cd /home/gareth/www/ and once you are there you can do a chmod 777 on the project folder.

Check out this for a nice tutorial on how to use chmod on unix/linux - http://catcode.com/teachmod/index.html

karlim

Community Member, 8 Posts

12 October 2008 at 8:22pm

but it still warn when the server is windows.
can u tell me what is the matter?