Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Audio File Types

6 Posts   2279 Views

gakenny

Community Member, 153 Posts

7 May 2007 at 1:30pm

Hello,

I would like to develop a site that allows audio file types to be uploaded with relevant notes, etc. Is there a working example or some notes on how this might be achieved? I am reluctant to allow uploads using HTTP as we might get timeout issues and I am wondering if the file can be uploaded and I can perform a lookup of a specified folder to link to this file via the backend interface for SilverStripe.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Gary

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 233 Posts

7 May 2007 at 3:17pm

You can upload files to the assets folder via ftp or scp. After visiting the "Files & Images" tab in the CMS, all the references to the files will automatically be stored in the database. You could then use these references to output a list on a page.

Sorry, I don't know of any working examples myself. Hope this helps.

Jedateach

7 May 2007 at 3:55pm

The database stores what folder the file is in, so you make an SQL query that lists all files in a particular directory, and are of type .mp3 for example.

If you wanted to add a description for each file, I noticed that the "content" field is unused in the 'File' table...meaning you won't have to create another table to join to for adding a description.

Jedateach

7 May 2007 at 5:33pm

Edited: 07/05/2007 5:35pm

Ok...I've since learned that the "Content" field is used for the description of the file.

From the IRC you told us that you're working on a site to contain pages of type 'seminar'. You need to be able to select a sound file to link to in the seminar page for users to download/listen to.

Within the Seminar.php file you can add a field to the $has_one array for storing the specific file you want to attach. Within the getCMSFields function, as per tutorial 2, you can add a 'TypeDropdown' field to the main tab.

You would then reference the field added to the $has_one in the Seminar.ss file to create a link to the file.

This is quite a rough description of what you can do. Please ask if you need a hand with the details.

gakenny

Community Member, 153 Posts

7 May 2007 at 8:52pm

Hi Jez,

Thanks for the heads-up... Are these field types documented somewhere?

The more I see of this tool the more I can see it's flexibility. I think I'll get the basic framework together and then work on this for v1.1.

Cheers,

Gary

Jedateach

9 May 2007 at 12:23pm

Edited: 09/05/2007 12:38pm

Yes, you should be able to find what you need in the "Developer Tutorials & Docs" area:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=all-classes

Edit: Key word there being "should". We're making our best efforts to get the API documentation fleshed out.