Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Multiple Editable Areas on a Single Page

4 Posts   33218 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

24 June 2008 at 2:48am

Hi,

How in Silverstripe do you enable multiple editable areas on single page?? This "$Content" variable seems to represent ALL the dynamic content in the template. This cannot be true! I tried including another template in order to separate them in the CMS and this doesn't work either as "$Content" assumes the same value since both instances occur int he same page. How can I have MULTIPLE instances of "$Content"??? Help!

Thanks,
Garrett

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

24 June 2008 at 9:03am

If I am understanding what you are after correctly, you need to create a new HTMLEditorField for your page type in the getCMSFields() method. Like so:

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new HTMLEditorField('MyField', 'Label for my field'), 'Content'); // The last argument will place your new field above Content.

return $fields;
}

If you no longer need the main Content field, you can remove it by adding $fields->removeFieldFromTab("Root.Content.Main","Content"); in that method before the return $fields; line.

Cheers
Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

24 June 2008 at 10:59am

Have a read of the second tutorial - this covers adding extra fields to pages. Basically to add on to what aaron said, theres 3 steps

1 - Add the field to the Database

Open up mysite/code/Page.php and in the static $db = array() add a field with the type HTML Text. So it would look something like below. After you add this run yoursite.com/db/build?flush=1 to rebuild the database.

static $db = array(
'SecondContent' => 'HTMLText'
// insert extra fields here
);

2. Add the field to the CMS so you can write content! - Just as per the last post

// Add this method under your static $db array bit.
function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new HTMLEditorField('SecondContent', 'Second Content'));

return $fields;
}

3. And last step is to add the variable $SecondContent to wherever you want to render the content in the template!

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

24 June 2008 at 11:06am

Open up mysite/code/Page.php and in the static $db = array() add a field with the type HTML Text.

static $db = array(
'SecondContent' => 'HTMLText'
// insert extra fields here
);

Oops, yes forgot that step. It's a must.