Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

extremely slow loading backend and very slow/delayed text editor

Go to End

12 Posts   16094 Views

milan

Community Member, 3 Posts

27 June 2008 at 11:04pm

Hi,

It looks like I am not the only person here experiencing the following problems:

1) slow loading backend. When I log in it takes up to 1 minute until the backend is loaded. I am experiencing this with both my own website and your online demo, with both IE 7 and Firefox 2. I can see in the download progress bar of both browsers that single items/pictures/etc. are loaded one by one, extremely slowly...

2) text editor is slow too. When I write, there is a delay and I have to wait until the editor catches up with my writing...

I really hope somebody can help with fixing these issues as the system itself looks very nice but this slowness just renders it useless for my clients.

Regards,
Milan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

28 June 2008 at 11:10am

Edited: 28/06/2008 11:11am

The next major version of SilverStripe (2.3) has alot of speed improvements, in the mean time try using Firefox 3 which I have found to be way more responsive with the JS in the backend.

But saying that demo seems to work quite quick for me.

milan

28 June 2008 at 8:19pm

Edited: 28/06/2008 8:19pm

Ok, so backend loading should be faster then..? How about the editor? All other editors I tried so far work fast (Typo3, Joomla etc.) but the Silverstripe-editor has that annoying delay which makes entering textes very uncomfortable...

Kind regards,
Milan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

28 June 2008 at 8:31pm

Ok, so backend loading should be faster then..? How about the editor? All other editors I tried so far work fast

Are you tryin SilverStripe on a local server? Try if on a local server and see how it responses, this will see if its something about your browser setup (any plugins that you have, old versions etc) or if it could be a slow internet connection?.

milan

28 June 2008 at 8:43pm

I have Typo3-Websites and this one Silverstripe-Website on the same server. It's a virtual dedicated server hosted with Godaddy.
The Typo3-websites load fast, no speed/performance problems at all. Only the Silverstripe-installation is painfully slow...

Kind regards,
Milan

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

3 July 2008 at 11:05pm

> When I write, there is a delay and I have to wait until the editor catches up with my writing...

thats pretty extreme - what CPU/RAM are you running on? especially considering that typo3 loads myriads of assets if uncached, and uses an equally heavy HTMLArea plugin by default (we use TinyMCE), its suprising that it should be much faster.

m191

Community Member, 1 Post

19 August 2008 at 5:07am

The perfomance issue with SilverStripe is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully version 2.3 will be improved and will revisit this promising CMS when it becomes available.

It has a great user interface for content editors. I shouldn't have to ask end users to change their browser. Nor should I have to tweak my default server settings for a modest implementation of SilverStripe.

I have used various apps: MODx, CMSMS, Typolight, eZ Publish, even Joomla (ugh!), all with no performance issues . . .

TF

Community Member, 10 Posts

20 August 2008 at 8:17pm

I have the same problem with a SilverStripe installation.

It all works fine for me, but the people I installed it for are complaining about the load time. They are on a 512/512kbit connection, which should be sufficient in my opinion.

I will try installing Firefox 3 on their computer tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Any idea about how long to Silverstripe 2.3?

Go to Top