Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Will this work for multiple-person site management?

Go to End

6 Posts   2318 Views

mjjss

Community Member, 4 Posts

16 May 2007 at 1:05pm

Edited: 16/05/2007 1:32pm

After reading more in the tutorials, I'm beginning to think this CMS will not be ideal for a site that will have several content managers. I'm a third-party developer. The company has several employees who would use the CMS to update content. If I understand the tutorials correctly, the web site must reside on one person's PC, not on a remote server where all users would be updating the same files. Am I correct? Is SilverStripe not a good option for multiple site managers?

Mary Jo

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 May 2007 at 2:44pm

.."If I understand the tutorials correctly, the web site must reside on one person's PC, not on a remote server where all users would be updating the same files"...

SilverStripe runs on remote servers.. Eg our main silverstripe site runs on a server and each staff member can edit files. Though I recommend using SVN to prevent any problems with multiple users editing the same files at once :P You usually run SilverStripe locally (on your pc) when you are testing or playing around with the system eg when following the tutorial

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

16 May 2007 at 11:13pm

Edited: 16/05/2007 11:18pm

SilverStripe works on a remote server, like a web host such as DreamHost (http://www.dreamhost.com). Multiple administrators can login to the CMS at the same time to edit content, however there is no functionality to 'lock' pages or anything of the like at the moment.

There is, however, staging supported - for example, you can create draft copies of pages for your site in the CMS, then when you have someone approve the content you can then publish the 'draft' version which shows publically to the world.

In terms of editing files, like Will said, a versioning system is ideal for multiple people editing the site files - html, css, js and php files for example. Here at the office we use SVN which comes in handy for more than 2 people working on a single site at any one time, and for multiple sites sharing code.

One possible way of creating a new site using SilverStripe would be to develop it on your local pc. Then, when you feel it's ready for the world to see, you'd then upload it to a web host.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Sean

nodevice

Community Member, 37 Posts

17 May 2007 at 1:13am

It would be nice to have a way to let certain category of users only create pages for only certain section, like news for example.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

17 May 2007 at 8:55am

nodevice, there's nothing out of the box but you can easily provide such features using this: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=author-security

Making a canEdit() method on a page type that returns Permission::check("PERM_CODE") means that you can then put PERM_CODE into the Permissions tab on the group that you want to give editing abilities to that page type.

You'll also need to give the CMS_ACCESS_CMSMain permission to anyone you want to be allowed into the CMS.

nodevice

Community Member, 37 Posts

17 May 2007 at 9:18am

Thanks for the help Sam, I'll give it a try, I'm already finishing my first Silverstripe site