Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

TreeDropdownField in Widget

2 Posts   2116 Views

Anatol

126 Posts

10 July 2008 at 2:57pm

Hi all,

I am trying to create a Widget that displays the content of a random sub page, i.e. in the widget I choose a parent page from the site tree, the frontend would then display the content of a random child page of that parent.

I started as you can see below. The TreeDropdownField gets displayed, but when I try to select it I get the error message "Error Getting Data".

RandomContentWidget.php

<?php

class RandomContentWidget extends Widget {
   static $has_one = array(
      "RandomContent" => "Page"
   );

static $title = "Random Content";
   static $cmsTitle = "Random Content Widget";
   static $description = "Adds content from a random sub page to the widget sidebar.";

// the random selection is still missing at this stage ...

function getCMSFields() {
      return new FieldSet(
         new TreeDropdownField("Page", "Choose a random parent page:", "SiteTree")
      );
   }
}

?>

RandomContentWidget.ss

<div id="RandomContentWidget">
<% control RandomContent %>
<h3>$Title</h3>
$Content
< end_control %>
</div>

I am not very experienced with creating Silverstripe widgets. I just wrote my very first one yesterday. If anyone knows why I get the "Error Getting Data" message I would be happy for a hint.

Cheers!
Anatol

Anatol

126 Posts

10 July 2008 at 6:00pm

It seems the TreeDropDownField does not work properly in widgets yet: [url]http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/2162[/url].

I borrowed some code from [url=http://silverstripe.com/ForumMemberProfile/show/480]simon_w[/url] who seemed to have similar problems with the [url=http://silverstripe.com/Children-Pages/]Children Pages Widget[/url]. Thank you for that!

This works:

RandomContentWidget.php

<?php

class RandomContentWidget extends Widget {
   static $title = "Random Content";
   static $cmsTitle = "Random Content Widget";
   static $description = "Adds content from a random sub page to the widget sidebar.";

static $db = array(
      "Page"=>"Varchar(255)"
      );
   static $defaults = array(
      "Page"=>"home"
      );

function getCMSFields() {
      // TODO: Use TreeDropdownField when it's fixed
      return new FieldSet(
         new TextField("Page", _t('RandomContentWidget.PAGE', "The URLSegment of the parent page to display a random child of."))
      );
   }
   function RandomContent() {
      $parent = DataObject::get_one("SiteTree", "URLSegment = '". Convert::raw2sql($this->Page) . "'");
      if(!$parent) {
         return false;
      }
      return DataObject::get("SiteTree", "ParentID = $parent->ID", "RAND()", "", 1);
   }
}

?>

RandomContentWidget.ss

<div id="RandomContentWidget">
   <% control RandomContent %>
      $Content
   <% end_control %>
</div>

I can upload the two widgets I created once they are cleaned up (the random content widget above and a widget to add html content with the TinyMCE editor).

Cheers!
Anatol