Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

TreeDropdownField in Widget

2 Posts   2110 Views

Anatol

10 July 2008 at 2:57pm 126 Posts

Hi all,

I am trying to create a Widget that displays the content of a random sub page, i.e. in the widget I choose a parent page from the site tree, the frontend would then display the content of a random child page of that parent.

I started as you can see below. The TreeDropdownField gets displayed, but when I try to select it I get the error message "Error Getting Data".

RandomContentWidget.php

<?php

class RandomContentWidget extends Widget {
   static $has_one = array(
      "RandomContent" => "Page"
   );

static $title = "Random Content";
   static $cmsTitle = "Random Content Widget";
   static $description = "Adds content from a random sub page to the widget sidebar.";

// the random selection is still missing at this stage ...

function getCMSFields() {
      return new FieldSet(
         new TreeDropdownField("Page", "Choose a random parent page:", "SiteTree")
      );
   }
}

?>

RandomContentWidget.ss

<div id="RandomContentWidget">
<% control RandomContent %>
<h3>$Title</h3>
$Content
< end_control %>
</div>

I am not very experienced with creating Silverstripe widgets. I just wrote my very first one yesterday. If anyone knows why I get the "Error Getting Data" message I would be happy for a hint.

Cheers!
Anatol

Anatol

10 July 2008 at 6:00pm 126 Posts

It seems the TreeDropDownField does not work properly in widgets yet: [url]http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/2162[/url].

I borrowed some code from [url=http://silverstripe.com/ForumMemberProfile/show/480]simon_w[/url] who seemed to have similar problems with the [url=http://silverstripe.com/Children-Pages/]Children Pages Widget[/url]. Thank you for that!

This works:

RandomContentWidget.php

<?php

class RandomContentWidget extends Widget {
   static $title = "Random Content";
   static $cmsTitle = "Random Content Widget";
   static $description = "Adds content from a random sub page to the widget sidebar.";

static $db = array(
      "Page"=>"Varchar(255)"
      );
   static $defaults = array(
      "Page"=>"home"
      );

function getCMSFields() {
      // TODO: Use TreeDropdownField when it's fixed
      return new FieldSet(
         new TextField("Page", _t('RandomContentWidget.PAGE', "The URLSegment of the parent page to display a random child of."))
      );
   }
   function RandomContent() {
      $parent = DataObject::get_one("SiteTree", "URLSegment = '". Convert::raw2sql($this->Page) . "'");
      if(!$parent) {
         return false;
      }
      return DataObject::get("SiteTree", "ParentID = $parent->ID", "RAND()", "", 1);
   }
}

?>

RandomContentWidget.ss

<div id="RandomContentWidget">
   <% control RandomContent %>
      $Content
   <% end_control %>
</div>

I can upload the two widgets I created once they are cleaned up (the random content widget above and a widget to add html content with the TinyMCE editor).

Cheers!
Anatol