Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Transfering a Remote DB to another Remote Server


Reply


6 Posts   947 Views

Avatar
Pixel

Community Member, 78 Posts

16 July 2008 at 9:14pm

Hi, I am nearing completion of a website and need to move it from a test domain on one server to the actual domain on another server.
I have transferred the httpdocs files over and now need to import the DB that I have been working on on the test domain.
I create a new DB and user in the control panel and then import the sql file
However, when I import it I keep getting this error

#1007 - Can't create database 'magazine'; database exists

What am I doing wrong?

Avatar
Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

16 July 2008 at 9:19pm

Is it possible to import the SQL without creating a new DB then?

Second question: Does your host have phpMyAdmin installed?

Avatar
Pixel

Community Member, 78 Posts

16 July 2008 at 9:23pm

Edited: 16/07/2008 9:25pm

Im using Plesk 8.4.0 and you need to create a new DB and a user before you can get onto phpMyAdmin

Avatar
Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

16 July 2008 at 9:30pm

Alright. So where did you export the existing database from, and how?

Avatar
Pixel

Community Member, 78 Posts

16 July 2008 at 9:41pm

From another server using Plesk 8.2.0, opened phpMyAdmin and did a straight-up export of the DB as an SQL with no compression.

Ive just been playing with importing the DB and I just got a error

#1044 - Access denied for user 'pandp'@'%' to database 'magazine'

This is my first SS site that I am putting live and I am not great with Dbs and php so im a bit of a noob atm.
I have another site on a test server which i will have to do the same in the near future

Avatar
Pixel

Community Member, 78 Posts

16 July 2008 at 11:03pm

Ok I set up the database and user exactly the same on both domains and exported just the tables of the test DB and imported them to the live site DB with success.
However, I am now getting a 403 Access forbidden! error so I shall now need to sort that out