Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Subsites module problem

Go to End

4 Posts   2506 Views

Racc

Community Member, 4 Posts

23 July 2008 at 2:33am

Edited: 23/07/2008 2:34am

Okay firstly: I am a complete newbie to creating and managing websites (although I have plenty of experience with programming in general, being my day job). I ran into SilverStripe and did a bit of exploring, did the tutorials and it looks pretty good so far for my application.

I am trying to get subsites working, as my website requires subdomains and after scouring the forums it appears that the subsites module is the right solution.

The goal is to have both:
www.mysitename.com
and
mysubdomain.mysitename.com

working, with CMS functionality for both sites, but different templates / layout etc.

I've downloaded the latest module version, and uploaded it straight to the server: ~/www/subsites/

The Subsites tab comes up in the CMS editor, however I don't exactly know what the "Create intranet" toolbar on the side is used for. When I try to create my subdomain, it comes up with the error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function createInstance() on a non-object in /home/zap49407/public_html/subsites/code/SubsiteAdmin.php on line 113

So I looked at the code, and it really didn't make a whole lot of sense...

What could I be doing wrong?? Do I have to create folders/templates inside my www/ dir to get mysubdomain.myhostname.com to work?

Do I need to STFU, RTFM and stop being a n00b?? probably...

Throw a n00b a bone, please? :D

Racc

Community Member, 4 Posts

23 July 2008 at 5:31pm

anybody?? :(

r0ar

Community Member, 13 Posts

4 August 2008 at 10:29pm

people hate you, apparently..

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 August 2008 at 11:07pm

Edited: 04/08/2008 11:07pm

Racc - only a couple of devs here have any experience with the subsites module. Myself had no clue how to use it! One of the other core devs set it up for me.

I think you have to do something like set a virtual host in the apache config of the subdomain to point to the top level domain?.. Sorry I can't provide any more information but I will pass on this thread on and see if someone with a bit more experience can help you out