Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Limiting Blog Access

Go to End

6 Posts   1479 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

26 July 2008 at 3:04am

Hi,

Is there a way to make the Blog read-only to public users of a site? In other words, to disable the "Post a new blog entry" concept? I want my blog to be contributed to by internal users only, and they can create the entries from within the CMS. Normal users of the site, or, really ANY user, should just be able to READ the blog.

Thanks,
Garrett

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

26 July 2008 at 3:24am

That's kind of messed up if public users are getting the management widget. Are you sure you're not logged in as an administrator when that's happening?

Garrett

26 July 2008 at 3:48am

No, no-- I AM an Admin. An additional problem is that I don't know how NOT to be an Admin! In other words, this is a public site, so there IS no log in; therefore, my local development environment reflects what it would be like to be on the siet on the wide open internet (does it not?). So I am wondering why "Post a new blog entry" is showing up. I don't want to be able to post ON the site itself-- ONLY through the CMS. How can this be achieved?

Thanks again,
Garrett

Garrett

26 July 2008 at 3:50am

To clarify-- EVERYONE will be a "public user".

Thanks,
Garrett

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

26 July 2008 at 3:56am

Try logging out to see what the site looks like without admin perms. Remember, logging in to Silverstripe is not just about using the CMS. It also entitles you to any limited access areas on the public site, including blog posting. You may want to try viewing the site in another browser if you've got a cookie that's keeping you constantly logged in. Otherwise, just going into the CMS and clicking on logout will take out out of admin mode.

I really wouldn't waste your time worrying about non-admin users seeing the blog management widget, or even being able to get to the /post/ function without being prompted for a login. That's all handled by Silverstripe.

Garrett

26 July 2008 at 4:05am

I went ahead and logged out of the CMS. I understand now. My browser was probably automatically loggnig in since another instance already had a session in the CMS. Makes sense.

Thanks a million!

//Garrett