Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Function Needed in ChildrenOf() Control

4 Posts   1198 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

29 July 2008 at 7:02am

Edited: 29/07/2008 7:03am

Hi,

I am on a Grandchild level looping through my Grandparents, and I need to look at the URL's of each of them and treat one of them differently as I write them to the page. I do not know where to put the function that returns whether the URL is a certain one. Here is my structure:

Experience (ExperienceHolder, URL = "experience")
>>>News (NewHolder)
>>>>>>NewsPage
>>>Item 2
>>>Item 3
>>>Item 4

I am in the NewsPage template, using <% control ChildrenOf(experience) %>, I am writing out News, Item 2, Item 3, Item 4, etc. Now, IF it is news, then I want to write something different. So in my control loop I have <% if IsCertainItem(URLSegment) %> logic, which I am sure will work. I just don't know WHERE to put this boolean function:

function IsNewsItem($url) {
if($url=="blah-blah-blah") {
return true;
}
return false;
}

Because I am looping through the Children of Experience, of which theer are several, so it is unclear. I tried putting the function in NewsPage, ExperienceHolder, AND NewsHolder, and it is still not being called.

Any help?? I run into this confusion a lot in SilverStripe-- not knowing WHERE to put my code.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

29 July 2008 at 7:18am

why not just use

<% if URLSegment = url %>

As you'll be using that method of different page types, a good place for it would be the Page class

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

29 July 2008 at 7:40am

DONE!

Hey, I didn't think you could do string comparisons in the SS templates! I didn't even think to try it as I have been thwarted there before.

What exactly ARE the rules of what you can't do?!

THANKS SO MUCH!

//Garrett

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

29 July 2008 at 1:12pm

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=templates - has a list of things you can do in templates.