Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

I just don't get how to change theme

Go to End

6 Posts   2069 Views

smorelli

Community Member, 2 Posts

30 July 2008 at 1:20pm

Okay - I've worked with a variety of CMS's and some are easy to set up themes and some aren't. This CMS is nice in a lot of ways but customizing a theme/template is not easy here. In fact I think I'm following the directions and am getting no changes happening.

During install I decided to go ahead with the blackcandy theme. Now I decide that I would like to change it to higherground. I've changed it in the _config file in the mysite directory and I've already uploaded the higher ground theme folder and files in themes directory. I've also done the ?flush=1 thing and still don't get any changes. I don't understand.

I would like to get to the point where I can just create my site layout then implement it with the CMS. I used to use PHPWCMS and they make setting up the theme really easy and nice to use. I hope that's next on the feature upgrades to the site.

Can anyone help with the question I have above? Thx

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 July 2008 at 1:41pm

The themes should be plug and play as in all you need to do - as you pointed out is upload the theme to the themes folder, change the config to point to it and do a flush. That should be all you need to do

You could make sure you have edited the right SSViewer::set_theme() line by removing it totally or removing the theme name from the config file and then doing a flush + a hard reset of the browser (if your xp / firefox its ctrl+F5) which will totally clear any cache. Does this 'break' the layout at all? If it does then that SSViewer::set_theme() is correct and you dont have 2 set themes anywhere lol!.

smorelli

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 July 2008 at 7:09am

Thank you - I had difficulty with the flush file it seems. I proceeded with deleting the config file from the server completley then re-uploaded my revised config file. That did the trick.

Matt_S

Community Member, 3 Posts

6 November 2008 at 10:04am

Similar problem.
I change the mysite config and get a blank page instead of any them I have added.

Firefox, IE, neither displays anything but a blank page.

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

6 November 2008 at 11:45am

I've seen this blank page thing happen many times and I still havn't found a trigger that made it come right. Simply clearing the browser cache and doing a flush eventually fixes it.

On one occasion however, it was a parse error in the new theme. The page was blank as there was an error but no reporting was being shown.

Try adding isDev=1 to your URL. You will be logged in for any errors to be shown.

Cheers
Aaron

Matt_S

Community Member, 3 Posts

6 November 2008 at 5:31pm

Thanks Aaron.
I don't know if it was adding the isDev=1 or just hitting it at the right time but the page displays fine now.