Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

I just don't get how to change theme

6 Posts   1627 Views

smorelli

Community Member, 2 Posts

30 July 2008 at 1:20pm

Okay - I've worked with a variety of CMS's and some are easy to set up themes and some aren't. This CMS is nice in a lot of ways but customizing a theme/template is not easy here. In fact I think I'm following the directions and am getting no changes happening.

During install I decided to go ahead with the blackcandy theme. Now I decide that I would like to change it to higherground. I've changed it in the _config file in the mysite directory and I've already uploaded the higher ground theme folder and files in themes directory. I've also done the ?flush=1 thing and still don't get any changes. I don't understand.

I would like to get to the point where I can just create my site layout then implement it with the CMS. I used to use PHPWCMS and they make setting up the theme really easy and nice to use. I hope that's next on the feature upgrades to the site.

Can anyone help with the question I have above? Thx

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

30 July 2008 at 1:41pm

The themes should be plug and play as in all you need to do - as you pointed out is upload the theme to the themes folder, change the config to point to it and do a flush. That should be all you need to do

You could make sure you have edited the right SSViewer::set_theme() line by removing it totally or removing the theme name from the config file and then doing a flush + a hard reset of the browser (if your xp / firefox its ctrl+F5) which will totally clear any cache. Does this 'break' the layout at all? If it does then that SSViewer::set_theme() is correct and you dont have 2 set themes anywhere lol!.

smorelli

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 July 2008 at 7:09am

Thank you - I had difficulty with the flush file it seems. I proceeded with deleting the config file from the server completley then re-uploaded my revised config file. That did the trick.

Matt_S

Community Member, 3 Posts

6 November 2008 at 10:04am

Similar problem.
I change the mysite config and get a blank page instead of any them I have added.

Firefox, IE, neither displays anything but a blank page.

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

6 November 2008 at 11:45am

I've seen this blank page thing happen many times and I still havn't found a trigger that made it come right. Simply clearing the browser cache and doing a flush eventually fixes it.

On one occasion however, it was a parse error in the new theme. The page was blank as there was an error but no reporting was being shown.

Try adding isDev=1 to your URL. You will be logged in for any errors to be shown.

Cheers
Aaron

Matt_S

Community Member, 3 Posts

6 November 2008 at 5:31pm

Thanks Aaron.
I don't know if it was adding the isDev=1 or just hitting it at the right time but the page displays fine now.