Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Change to CalendarDateField

6 Posts   1651 Views

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

23 May 2007 at 11:02am

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a change to CalendarDateField, so that the calendar is accessible by clicking a calendar icon to the right of the field, rather than the field itself. This is because it's currently really hard to type in a value without using the calendar.

My question is - should this be implemented as an optional part of CalendarDateField, turned off by default, or should I change the default behaviour?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

23 May 2007 at 8:32pm

I say this should be default. I've already thought the calendar popup is a bit unusable, especially as you said Sam - it's not clear that you can fill in the field yourself.

My two cents. :-)

Sean

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

23 May 2007 at 9:47pm

Im leaning towards having it default :D. Funny I always thought there was meant to be a icon to the right as the calendar textbox seems shorter then the others..

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

24 May 2007 at 12:45pm

I vote "default"

Additionally, almost all of the time I use the date field, I am choosing today, or something very close, so it would make sense for the value inside the textbox to show today. I think having this as default too, but with the ability to disable the day's default.

As it stands, I sometimes find myself writing 2006 and wondering why it doesn't show up :P

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

27 May 2007 at 12:00pm

I've made it the default, and put a note for Andrew to include backward-compatability issues in the 2.0.2 changelog.

Sig - defaulting to today can get tricky when you want to clear the value of the field out. In short - it's one of those things you wind up swearing at in lots of situations. The calendar has today highlighted, so setting to today is a 2-click process.

Matt

Core Development Team, 84 Posts

30 May 2007 at 11:56pm

Would be cool to get some simple strtotime working in here - we had quite an advanced implementation in SilverStripe 1 that is probably not entirely necessary here, but changing words like 'today', 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', the days of the week etc would be cool.