Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

GeoBase

Go to End

6 Posts   3059 Views

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

15 August 2008 at 9:40am

Redesigned this site GeoBase Geospatial Mapping Software which develops a mapping SDK for advanced routing and geocoding.

The site has a few extended features on the user side of things such as a user only download repository with multiple group refinement and restrictions.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

15 August 2008 at 9:44pm

Awesome looking site !!! Very slick and professional !!

ScottiouS

19 August 2008 at 10:04am

:) Thanks Fuzz10.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

23 August 2008 at 5:54am

Very nicely done. Looks great.

Curious to explain more about the file downloads and restrictions? I'm doing a site now where I'll be working on the same type of thing. This will be my first time working extensively with member groups and such, and maybe you could save me some time.

I have a client area where I'll have different pages for different clients with private files for each. Right now I'm just going to restrict each page to the member group and turn off directory listing of files. Clients will not be sharing links to files, but if there is a way for extra protection, like restricting member groups to certain files, I'd be curious about it.

ScottiouS

28 August 2008 at 4:15pm

Hey LeeUmm,

Here's the main things beyond the norma that I needed to achieve with this site..

(1) I needed to restrict the files so that they weren't freely available, so I put the files in a directory beneath the www. Then created a process to fetch the file when requested and SS would check their permissions to the page and file before allowing download.

(2) I needed to restrict the user by page and file in some cases. So for example a user may be in the Australia group which would give them access to the Australia page, but they also need to be in the "premium" group to get access to the files in that page that are restricted to the "premium" group. You could also have other files that are not restricted for which the user in the Australia group would still have access to without being in the premium group.

(3) I needed to be able to have the groups permissions work in a different manner than they currently do. See this post for the problem and solution to this one: http://www.silverstripe.com/extending-hacking-silverstripe-forum/flat/112459

Let me know what you're most interested in knowing more about and I might write a blog post about the process.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

30 August 2008 at 5:47am

Thanks for the reply.

I believe just option 1) should suffice and possibly be even more than I need.

Here's what I'm doing.

I have a client area with children pages for clients and grandchildren for sub pages. - (domain.com/client-area/client-1/page1, domain.com/client-area/client-1/page2 (assuming nested URLs worked))

Each member will only belong to one group. Each group will have private files to download on their pages. These files won't be shared by them, so I'm not worried about them handing out the links across the web. Files are related to client business, so THEY want them private.

To be honest, I'm probably safe enough just restricting pages to certain groups, disabling directory listing of content, and posting the links in there. However, I may implement something along the lines of what you did if it's not too much work, to give the clients more peace of mind.