Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

forum module is lacking...

Go to End

4 Posts   1276 Views

Matt Hardwick

Community Member, 61 Posts

18 August 2008 at 2:39am

Edited: 18/08/2008 2:40am

The forum module is somewhat lacking in features compared to other forum software out there... which is annoying because I am having to use a different forums script (and either hack in some kind of password sync, or make users have 2 passwords).

The separate forum always look never exactly the same as the rest of the website and it's yet another system that I have to look after.
Is there any work to make the forums comparable to other forum software out there?

The biggest things for me (my managers and users) are;

* Visual Editor - "like other forums"
* Smilies
* Stronger control over who can modify what boards

TIA

Matt.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 August 2008 at 1:32pm

Hi Matt we are planning an update to the forum in the next month (0.2) which will be a bugfix/code tidy up release but the features you mention could easily come under the next version after that where we would be looking at making the forum a bit more powerful! Our goal is to get a nice, stable, usable platform then hopefully as more people start using the forum module we can spend some more time on it.

You can see whats going to be part of Forum 0.2 here - http://open.silverstripe.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=Forum+0.2

Feel free to add any requests to trac so we / the community can keep tabs on them!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 August 2008 at 2:05pm

Matt Hardwick

Community Member, 61 Posts

18 August 2008 at 3:25pm

It's looking good.

For the time being, I have written a SMF driver for the auth_external plugin so we are going to stick with the current software, and re evaluate maybe Christmas sort of time. :)