Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

New User questions

Go to End

5 Posts   1755 Views

tinatoerat

Community Member, 16 Posts

18 August 2008 at 3:23pm

Edited: 18/08/2008 3:28pm

So, I've just installed Silverstripe, which, btw, my mind keeps calling Silverlight, and I installed using the blackcandy theme rather than the blank theme.

If I want to have a second site to follow the tutorial/do my own thing do I need to install silverlightstripe again in a different folder/name, or does silverlight (really, I didn't mean that one) manage different sites from the one installation?

(Oh, and can I preview my forum post?)

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

18 August 2008 at 7:34pm

Hi there,

Out of the box, SilverStripe does not have functionality for managing multiple sites from one installation. However, there is the subsites module which allows you to administer many sites from one installation (as the name suggests). However, I dont think it supports much beyond separate subsite database content - that is, all subsites would have the same visual style, and operate out of the same template files.

Therefore, I think the only way to achieve what your looking for is to create a new installation of SilverStripe in a different folder.

As for post previewing - not at the moment, but I think theres some work being done on the forum module as we speak, and this may be one of the new features.

tinatoerat

Community Member, 16 Posts

19 August 2008 at 9:09pm

Thanks for the reply aj.

More new user questions: I have recently been building a site in Drupal so my questions perhaps come from that experience.

Can I have more than one theme on my site? If I build a little test site and I want to test themes how do I do that?

I've downloaded some lovely themes from your list, but how do I enable one for my default site.

I checked out the help from the CMS, but when I searched "theme" nothing was returned.

Anita

stooni

Community Member, 89 Posts

19 August 2008 at 9:13pm

Hello Anita,

you must enable the theme in \mysite\_config.php with these SSViewer::set_theme('higherground');

--- Stooni

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

19 August 2008 at 11:05pm

Hey again,

If you want to enable dynamic theme selection, you can add something like this in your mysite/_config.php:

if(isset($_REQUEST['theme'])){
	SSViewer::set_theme($_REQUEST['theme']);
}

replacing
SSViewer::set_theme('blackcandy');

This will mean that if you visit

http://yoursite.com/page?theme=sometheme&flush=1
it will change the theme for you.