Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Problem with Subsites Module

Go to End

4 Posts   1838 Views

Community Member, 12 Posts

21 August 2008 at 9:59pm

I managed to install the Subsites module (well... I guess I did) without issues. When I did the

it returned the updated database info. But I don't get a Subsites main menu entry. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Thank you.

Community Member, 2 Posts

23 November 2008 at 9:16am

Hey there,

I've just spent all day on this, and then in the subsites/README file I found this:

- genericdataadmin Module

I installed the genericdataadmin module (checked out the truck from here: and the menu option appeared... now to figure out if subsites even does what I was after.

FYI: I'm using 2.3.0rc1 and the trunk of the subsites module too.

121 Posts

23 November 2008 at 9:42am

I was under the impression that the genericdataadmin stuff had been replaced by modeladmin in 2.3, so if the subsites module does require it then I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't work.

The last time I tested the subsites trunk code was on 2.2.2, and it seemed to work ok on that after a bit of coaxing.

Community Member, 2 Posts

23 November 2008 at 10:57am

Edited: 23/11/2008 11:00am

Hey jam13,

Today is my first day on SilverStripe, I'm evaluating it for a project I've got coming up. So anything that I do is probably wrong!

Even though adding the genericdataadmin module made the menu item appear on the backend, it appeared that the functionality mentioned in the wiki just wasn't there - I could create subsites, but the drop down list did not appear on the Site Content page and if I tried accessing the subdomain on the normal site it would give an error message. I suspect that it will need a more experienced mind than mine to get this working with 2.3.0.

It even says at the top of the genericadminmodule:

* @deprecated Use {@link ModelAdmin} instead, it's much more advanced and does much more for you.

Subsites are a requirement for my project, but not an urgent one, so I may still be able to use SilverStripe (it's certainly the best CMS I've seen so far), but I'll be waiting with baited breath for subsites to be fixed for 2.3.0.