Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

New With Questions

Go to End

6 Posts   1721 Views

Spoon

Community Member, 1 Post

25 August 2008 at 4:00pm

Hi All,

I am new to Silverstripe and have a few questions that the more experienced users will probably be able to answer easily.

I have a few small sites on various webhosts. What I am wanting to do is build new sites using Silverstripe on my local machine and when done publish (upload) them to the webhost. The reasons I don't want to install Silverstripe on the webhosts are:
- I have multiple sites on multiple webhosts and don't want to install Silverstripe on all of them. I want a single installation of Silverstripe to manage all of the sites.
- The space on some of the webhosts is very tight and having Silverstripe on there will leave little room for the actual website.

So my question is, can I run Silverstripe on my local PC and build all of the sites there and then publish them to my webhost(s)?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

grilldan

Community Member, 135 Posts

25 August 2008 at 4:32pm

If you do that, you wont have the functionality of the CMS itself, and all you will be doing is showing the generated html code from SilverStripe. If that's the case, then it might be a better idea to use/make an html template.

I don't know if you can publish straight from SilverStripe to the web without having SilverStripe installed. One reason I know for sure, is because of the way the links work. They don't link directly to "index.html" they link to "/home/". I'm sure you could work around that though.

My overall suggestion, is if your not going to install SilverStripe on the web hosting, then don't use it. You will be much better off using a html template.

If you like the themes of silverstripe, download them and look at the .ss pages. They are basically html pages with a little bit of php in them.

stooni

Community Member, 89 Posts

28 August 2008 at 3:57am

Edited: 28/08/2008 3:57am

What you mean with
>- I have multiple sites on multiple webhosts and don't want to install Silverstripe on all of them. I want a single installation of Silverstripe to manage all of the sites.

---- These is the system from siilverstripe you must have on all hosts the system files from silverstripe.

>- The space on some of the webhosts is very tight and having Silverstripe on there will leave >little room for the actual website.
------ how close is because the space I need per sst host only 30 MB - 60 MB

Stooni

kalwi

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 August 2008 at 3:04am

Hi im new too . I have allready site on silverstripe cms but i have one problem with adsense on my site frist i tryed past adsense on site but that didint work then i installeted blog and adsense widget and still dont work ... ah i have modified call of duty template

thanks for help

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

31 August 2008 at 4:38am

There seems to be some crude functionality which can export a static HTML dump of your site.

Check out this thread :
http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/48401

kalwi

Community Member, 2 Posts

4 September 2008 at 9:46am

Sorry but I still don't get how to fix it