Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Fatal error: Call to a member function XML_val()

7 Posts   3535 Views

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

26 August 2008 at 9:11am

Hi all,

We've had a site up and running for over a month, and we're starting to get reports of a weird error being displayed at random intervals on the home page.

Fatal error: Call to a member function XML_val() on a non-object in /import_wfs1/share_rw/tmp/silverstripe-cache-home-httpd-vhlinks-www.vivaexpeditions.com/.cache on line 212

This is on blank white page - nothing is loaded.

Refreshing the page fixes it it seems.

Anyone seen this? It seems to pop up a few times a week.

Cheers
Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

26 August 2008 at 12:03pm

Usually happens when you have like $Title.XML or $Content.FirstParagraph and theres no $Title or $Content for example.. It shouldnt throw an error for that though so we should probably just change it so it fails silently

Double-A-Ron

26 August 2008 at 1:25pm

Would the Summary function have the same effect?

Willr

26 August 2008 at 1:29pm

yes.

Double-A-Ron

26 August 2008 at 1:31pm

I have a box on the right hand side that spits out a featured random page object excerpt. This might explain why the problem is also random.

Cheers Willr
Aaron

Willr

26 August 2008 at 1:39pm

So I think all you need to do is do something like <% if MyRandomContent %>$RandomContent.Summary<% end_if %> or something and you should be sweet!. Random bugs are always the hardest to test :(

Double-A-Ron

26 August 2008 at 1:42pm

Yeah that if statement is basically exactly what i've done. Will have to wait and see if the problem occurs again.

Cheers
Aaron Cooper