Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Forum module changes/updates

Go to End

17 Posts   6722 Views

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

31 May 2007 at 11:04am

1) We need to add is the a "email me with comments on this thread" option. This currently exists in the kcommunity branch of the community module, so we just need to move it over.

2) Something which would be cool is a "monitor posts where my name is mentioned" function. For example, if we say something like "Andy, please patch this", Andy would be alerted to the post (via email , or just a datafeed)

xmedeko

Community Member, 94 Posts

31 May 2007 at 2:14pm

Is the forum "Search" function working for sections? The search from http://www.silverstripe.com/silverstripe-forum/ is fine, but when I jump into some section, and then try to search, then it shows me all posts always.

bod

Community Member, 72 Posts

31 May 2007 at 8:27pm

Edited: 31/05/2007 8:38pm

Hi guys

I've only recently discovered SilverStripe and just to say a big heartfelt thanks to the team for producing such a great functioning CMS - it's a totally killer app.

Tim asked me to post my thoughts re the forum module so here it goes.

Big thing I guess from current/past forum experience would be to add a field for a user to list hobbies or just some general bumpf on themselves to their profile.

...and leading on from there a way to search/list all members (the protocol in most forums regarding this is that the members list can be switched on/off by admin)

this would be a core feature I believe in order to give some personality to the online community - it means for example as a hobbiest or community forum members can detail their particular specialities/skillset/collections etc in their profile the public view of which is linked on their avatar in any threads posted. Maybe also a way for a member to tag themselves in their profile to so that it can be a search option in the forums advanced search feature?

The ability within viewing a member profile to list all posts by that member.

Second biggy is a PM facility, this gives users a way to communicate privately to other members, another community building tool that most of the popular forums would have as part of their feature set. Again it's availability should be set by Admin.

and building on the PM feature or as a separate mod, the ability to subscribe to threads that you are either posting to or interested in tracking would be cool.

Big one re usability that I noticed when I had a scoot around it last night is the following. Once you click into a thread there is no way to get back up to the forum, to jump to other forums yes but not to just go up a level apart from the back button, a clickable hierarchic breadcrumb trail would solve this at both the top of the thread and at the bottom.

...and as mentioned previously the caching problem when editing your post is a biggy.

That's my 2 cents at the mo' and please forgive me if some of the above already exists and I've somehow missed it - keep up the great work guys!

Matt

Community Member, 86 Posts

1 June 2007 at 5:56pm

Cheers everyone, I've got a note of all of these - most of these I already down in my rather large list of 'stuff to do' anyway, so it's good to see that we're looking at the same feature/bug-set at least :)

I've had a couple of emails as well, so I'll list them here as well to keep everything in one place.

- Search function doesn't work

- Can't track my own messages and don't get an email or anything when someone responds to my message

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

2 June 2007 at 12:22pm

We also need the ability to attach photos etc to posts :-)

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 June 2007 at 1:09pm

I believe we've got the ability to add attachments in the development version, no?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 June 2007 at 1:17pm

..."2) Something which would be cool is a "monitor posts where my name is mentioned" function. For example, if we say something like "Andy, please patch this", Andy would be alerted to the post (via email , or just a datafeed)"

It might work for andy but for 'will' I would be getting every second post! Any way I think PMing might be a good feature, especially for sharing private data with the development team for bugs etc.. emailing when a response is posted is the one feature I can't wait to see!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 June 2007 at 3:36pm

Edited: 02/06/2007 3:48pm

To be honest, making it email you if your name got mentioned is being too smart, this is probably something we shouldn't do. There would be far too many circumstances where it wouldn't get it right, for example, it may detect a name in your post and send off to someone you didn't intend.

It's easier just to 'subscribe' to posts with the current functionality we're including in the development version - we just need to make sure it works correctly.

Private messages would be good too. However, I would put this feature down in priority over code highlighting and subscribing to posts. A lot of people have been posting sample code into their posts and it's not looking too good...

Cheers,
Sean