Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Content Authors

Go to End

2 Posts   1811 Views

tvachon

Community Member, 3 Posts

18 September 2008 at 8:17am

Edited: 18/09/2008 8:17am

Hi folks

I feel like I'm missing something basic here. Please let me know if this has been covered somewhere, a fairly decent amount of Googling forum reading hasn't turned up anything yet.

We'd like to have several users who have permission to only edit certain pages on our site (say, our job postings site). When I create user accounts via the security tab and give them the appropriate permissions (that is, add them to the Job Posting Editor group and configure the Job Posting page to be editable only by people in the Job Posting Editor group) they aren't able to log into the admin UI (I go to http://server/admin, log in, and get "I'm sorry, but you can't access that part of the CMS. ").

I've also tried editing the PHP underlying this page like:

<?php                                                                                                                                                

class CareerPage extends Page {                                                                                                                      

static $db = array(                                                                                                                              
    );                                                                                                                                               
    static $has_one = array(                                                                                                                         
    );                                                                                                                                               
    static $allowed_children = array('JobPosting');                                                                                                  

function canEdit() {                                                                                                                             
        return Permission::check("ADD_JOB_POSTING");                                                                                                 
    }                                                                                                                                                

}                                                                                                                                                    

class CareerPage_Controller extends Page_Controller implements PermissionProvider {                                                                  
  function providePermissions() {                                                                                                                    
    return array(                                                                                                                                    
      "ADD_JOB_POSTING" => "Add job postings",                                                                                                       
    );                                                                                                                                               
  }                                                                                                                                                  
}                                                                                                                                                    

?>  

with the same result.

It seems like the problem is that I haven't given this group appropriate permission to even view the site tree. It's fine if they can do this as long as they can't edit pages we haven't specifically given them access to. I've tried giving this group a number of permissions from the Security tab, to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

tvachon

Community Member, 3 Posts

18 September 2008 at 11:27am

Ah, believe I've solved my own problem. I suspect I was neglecting to hit the "save" button at the bottom of the page when assigning new permissions before. For the record, it looks like the problem was that I hadn't given these users "CMSMain" permission.

thanks!