Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

So how does a new user register?

Go to End

17 Posts   55208 Views

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

11 June 2007 at 8:45pm

Yeah, although I'm not familiar with the product you mention I think it probably is.

The best way to add "community site" functionality to the system would be with an add-on module.

ylluminate

Community Member, 24 Posts

9 May 2008 at 5:41am

You know Sam, it really is inconvenient not having a module to do this at the moment. If we could point some folks towards that direction of making such a module it would be definitely handy. Perhaps I can start on one myself, but I certainly would like to see someone roll one with more experience with SS as we're dealing with authentication and security somewhat.

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

9 May 2008 at 9:14am

ylon,

Is this what you're talking about http://dev.tearaway.co.nz/register/ ? (You made need to reload the page to view it)

Excuse the design - i've got a new template for the site - just haven't put it on.

I've done this to a couple of SS sites and it's a fairly simple process.

Cheers

ylluminate

9 May 2008 at 9:58am

Indeed subvert, this is very much what we need as a module to quickly plug in. Is there a way that this can be extracted and we can make this into a module? I think it would be a pretty big hit as such and something that folks may semi-frequently need while working with SS.

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

9 May 2008 at 10:09am

I have never made a module before - but I will attempt to convert my code in the next couple of weeks. I may need some guidance as to how to extend the Member database structure - I currently edit the DB array on Member.php - would anyone be able to tell me how to extend the Member database from a module?

ylluminate

9 May 2008 at 3:24pm

Curious subvert, in the interim could you delineate that which you did in order to facilitate login for secure or group-only visible pages?

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

1 June 2008 at 1:55am

I did something in the same line for http://www.photoplaces.be/ about 8 months ago.

You basically just need to create a form that writes to Member (or a subclass of it) and the group it's in, and that works in the same way as any other DataObject, as far as I can remember :)

Cy

Community Member, 11 Posts

7 October 2008 at 9:31am

Is a "Register New User" module in the works or possibly a write-up on pulling from the Forum module? I figured out a form to add new users to groups but I am clueless how to include an encrypted password. Is it possible to force a "Forgot Password" for new signups? (solving my "verify email address" problem) Thanks!