Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

So how does a new user register?

18 Posts   53898 Views

jrc

Community Member, 5 Posts

11 June 2007 at 4:48am

Ah, gotcha.

So SilverStripe is meant to be more along the lines of Interwoven's Teamsite product.

Sam

Administrator, 685 Posts

11 June 2007 at 8:45pm

Yeah, although I'm not familiar with the product you mention I think it probably is.

The best way to add "community site" functionality to the system would be with an add-on module.

ylluminate

Community Member, 24 Posts

9 May 2008 at 5:41am

You know Sam, it really is inconvenient not having a module to do this at the moment. If we could point some folks towards that direction of making such a module it would be definitely handy. Perhaps I can start on one myself, but I certainly would like to see someone roll one with more experience with SS as we're dealing with authentication and security somewhat.

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

9 May 2008 at 9:14am

ylon,

Is this what you're talking about [url]http://dev.tearaway.co.nz/register/[/url] ? (You made need to reload the page to view it)

Excuse the design - i've got a new template for the site - just haven't put it on.

I've done this to a couple of SS sites and it's a fairly simple process.

Cheers

ylluminate

9 May 2008 at 9:58am

Indeed subvert, this is very much what we need as a module to quickly plug in. Is there a way that this can be extracted and we can make this into a module? I think it would be a pretty big hit as such and something that folks may semi-frequently need while working with SS.

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

9 May 2008 at 10:09am

I have never made a module before - but I will attempt to convert my code in the next couple of weeks. I may need some guidance as to how to extend the Member database structure - I currently edit the DB array on Member.php - would anyone be able to tell me how to extend the Member database from a module?

ylluminate

9 May 2008 at 3:24pm

Curious subvert, in the interim could you delineate that which you did in order to facilitate login for secure or group-only visible pages?

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

1 June 2008 at 1:55am

I did something in the same line for http://www.photoplaces.be/ about 8 months ago.

You basically just need to create a form that writes to Member (or a subclass of it) and the group it's in, and that works in the same way as any other DataObject, as far as I can remember :)