Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

First Steps

6 Posts   1358 Views

andryonline

Community Member, 5 Posts

2 October 2008 at 10:58pm

I'm trying SilverStripe, but I can not find any menu for the configurations/preferences: does not exist?
How do I change the themes?
As you set the default language?

Translated by Google

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

2 October 2008 at 11:52pm

Read the tutorials.

They will help.

[url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorials[/url]

andryonline

5 October 2008 at 12:10pm

Edited: 08/10/2008 2:11am

I have read, but is not served at all. The demo has many functions, the package I downloaded a lot less and it seems that we need to install them pick up and run the code every time: too complicated.

Translated by Google

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

5 October 2008 at 6:49pm

the package I downloaded a lot less..

This is because not every site needs every feature. The core software you download has the essentials - the core PHP framework, the CMS interface and a demo theme (blackcandy). The demo also has installs from our increasing range of modules which you can add to your site as necessary - http://open.silverstripe.com/browser/modules/ (you can find install instructions + more information on the modules on the documentation page).

andryonline

7 October 2008 at 8:41pm

Edited: 08/10/2008 2:11am

Ok, but I want to understand one thing in particular (unfortunately the guides not help me much, because I do not know good English): To install themes, modules and widgets, must pick up and run the code with manual changes? I understood correctly? Or you can install with automatic systems without having to manually change the code?

PS: widgets work only with the blog module?

Translated by Google

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

8 October 2008 at 9:02am

> To install themes, modules and widgets, must pick up and run the code with manual changes?

Generally:

Widgets - just upload them to your website root and they should be ready to use.
Modules - same as widgets, but you might need to modify some configuration variables.
Themes - upload to your theme directory, then change the theme in your _config.php file.

There is very little you need to modify to get most widgets/modules/themes working.

> Or you can install with automatic systems without having to manually change the code?

No. Sometimes the module will have CMS-enabled pieces to help configuration, but it is always a manual installation process.

> widgets work only with the blog module?

No - any page can have widgets. The blog moduled has them enabled already, but a 'widget area' can be added to any page with a little bit of code. See this page: [url]http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=widgets[/url]