Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

First Steps

Go to End

6 Posts   1696 Views

andryonline

Community Member, 5 Posts

2 October 2008 at 10:58pm

I'm trying SilverStripe, but I can not find any menu for the configurations/preferences: does not exist?
How do I change the themes?
As you set the default language?

Translated by Google

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

2 October 2008 at 11:52pm

Read the tutorials.

They will help.

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorials

andryonline

5 October 2008 at 12:10pm

Edited: 08/10/2008 2:11am

I have read, but is not served at all. The demo has many functions, the package I downloaded a lot less and it seems that we need to install them pick up and run the code every time: too complicated.

Translated by Google

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

5 October 2008 at 6:49pm

the package I downloaded a lot less..

This is because not every site needs every feature. The core software you download has the essentials - the core PHP framework, the CMS interface and a demo theme (blackcandy). The demo also has installs from our increasing range of modules which you can add to your site as necessary - http://open.silverstripe.com/browser/modules/ (you can find install instructions + more information on the modules on the documentation page).

andryonline

7 October 2008 at 8:41pm

Edited: 08/10/2008 2:11am

Ok, but I want to understand one thing in particular (unfortunately the guides not help me much, because I do not know good English): To install themes, modules and widgets, must pick up and run the code with manual changes? I understood correctly? Or you can install with automatic systems without having to manually change the code?

PS: widgets work only with the blog module?

Translated by Google

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

8 October 2008 at 9:02am

> To install themes, modules and widgets, must pick up and run the code with manual changes?

Generally:

Widgets - just upload them to your website root and they should be ready to use.
Modules - same as widgets, but you might need to modify some configuration variables.
Themes - upload to your theme directory, then change the theme in your _config.php file.

There is very little you need to modify to get most widgets/modules/themes working.

> Or you can install with automatic systems without having to manually change the code?

No. Sometimes the module will have CMS-enabled pieces to help configuration, but it is always a manual installation process.

> widgets work only with the blog module?

No - any page can have widgets. The blog moduled has them enabled already, but a 'widget area' can be added to any page with a little bit of code. See this page: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=widgets