Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Flash Incorporation

Go to End

7 Posts   1760 Views

Community Member, 4 Posts

3 October 2008 at 8:49am

Edited: 03/10/2008 8:49am

I'm building a site that uses flash buttons instead of css (only 6 pages). Is there a way to incorporate these flash buttons using SilverStripe CMS?

Community Member, 470 Posts

3 October 2008 at 9:05am

It shouldn't be a problem. Just setup your flash buttons to link to the page URLs you setup in the CMS.

Then just hard code the stuff in a template.

If you want it so every time you make a new page in the CMS a flash button is made, doubtful.

Community Member, 156 Posts

3 October 2008 at 11:37am

you could get the flash to generate the menu based on a xml feed of the parent sections from silverstripe.

I have seen plenty of xml driven menus on FlashDen.

7 October 2008 at 7:08am

Thanks for the reply. I'd really just like the ability to edit the current pages (that are referenced by the flash buttons) in the CMS. Is this a possibility?

Community Member, 470 Posts

7 October 2008 at 3:05pm

Nice idea about the XML, didn't think of that. Not much of a Flash guru :)

Yes, you can edit the pages just fine, it has nothing to do with the Flash buttons unless I'm not understanding your post.

Community Member, 132 Posts

7 October 2008 at 10:41pm

Hi Duane

I'm using flash a lot in my silverstripe cms and it's working great...

I haven't tried using flash in menus though, but maybe you could try creating a menu control inside your swfobject javascript code and add it in your varibables parametre. I've used a lot of controls inside javascript code, and it actually works. It would then be something like this:

var so = new SWFObject("$project/yourFlashFile.swf", "header", "950", "160", "7", "#FFFFFF");
so.addVariable("myMenuArray","<% control Menu(2) %>$Link, $MenuTitle;;;<% end_control %>");

From here you could get to the array inside flash and create your dynamic menu... Use code like this in flash:

var flashMenuArray = root.loaderInfo.parameters.myMenuArray;
if(!flashMenuArray) flashMenuArray = "yourDefaultLink1;;yourDefaultTitle1"
flashMenuArray = flashMenuArray.split(";;;");

As said this is only theory, haven't tried it nor worked with it, but maybe it's helpful.
Hope to hear from you if you find an easier solution.

11 October 2008 at 2:24am

Hi Joel,

I'm still learning the SS system, so you're talking a bit over my head. In the mean time, I thought I'd just create a css menu below the footer, then I can just use action script for the flash buttons to direct them to the appropriate URL extension. The only drawback is that you can't change the page name/extension in the cms without changing the action script as well.