Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Poor response times - slow speed

Go to End

12 Posts   5555 Views

Pottsy

Community Member, 19 Posts

8 October 2008 at 2:49pm

Hi

I have a site www.imageslasertek.co.nz which I am well down the track of developing for a customer.

He is complaining the response times can be very slow ie over 60 seconds and more to load each new page. The speeds can vary from being adequate to excessively slow and I am unbale to tell whether this is due to internet speed issues, server load problems or simply silverstripe is dragging its heels loading the pages.

The server is a linux based server.

I have found reference to xcache as a solution which I am investigating further. Can someone please suggest some ideas of how to improve the response times.

Many thanks

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

8 October 2008 at 3:47pm

have you setup the silverstripe-cache folder?

Pottsy

8 October 2008 at 4:06pm

I have the silverstripe-cache folder created and it appears to be being used by the system

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

8 October 2008 at 4:12pm

well it isn't slow here.

I am getting 2-3 second page loads.

Pottsy

8 October 2008 at 4:33pm

Hmmmmm.

I am suspecting the problem is ISP related, but am having difficulty proving it to be able to satisfy my customer who is best descibed as technologically challenged. Trying to explain to him things like ISP, server performance, Silverstripe performance and the difference between them is very challenging to get him to understand.

Thanks for your input. I would appreciate anyones comments and where they are and their ISP should they be interested.

Many thanks

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

1 November 2008 at 11:18am

XCache generally improves script performance in SilverStripe by an order of 2x to 5x from our experience, so its definetly worth pursuing. As for testing the performance, have you heard of "ab" tool (Apache Benchmark)?

Pottsy

3 November 2008 at 8:28am

No

Where should I look for it?

Cheers Neil

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

3 November 2008 at 10:51am

Edited: 03/11/2008 10:57am

I have loaded the site 6 times with the following speeds given to me by Yslow:

(seconds)
3.4 - first load

I don't see an issue on the SS/Server side of things. I think your client's complaints are connection based if they are reporting up to a minute load times.

I think your time is better spent addressing that first, as no mods you make to the site will seem reasonable to the client if the rest of us are already seeing reasonable response times.

Surely they have similar delays loading most sites if it is their ISP. If not, it may be a DNS issue with thier ISP or manual DNS settings.

I'm in NZ, and our ISP is Horizon.

Cheers
Aaron

Go to Top