Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Handling 1,000's of pages in the cms

Go to End

7 Posts   1742 Views

vstrazz

Community Member, 63 Posts

9 October 2008 at 10:03am

Edited: 09/10/2008 10:03am

Hello,

I have an up coming project I'm hoping to use silverstripe for, that has an archive of nearly 2,000 archived pages. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this many pages in the CMS before, and how.

I know from experience with Silverstripe, that opening that many pages in the backend of the CMS would put a huge strain on it. How can I attack this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

10 October 2008 at 12:24am

Sorry, can't say anything useful about it , but have seen some discussions on this subject..

See :
http://silverstripe.com/silverstripe-forum/search/?for=large+number+of+pages

vstrazz

10 October 2008 at 2:28am

thanks for the reply. Anyone else got anything?

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

10 October 2008 at 6:22am

As far as I know, in one of the forum posts linked above, dio5 wrote a hack to somewhat deal with it in this post - http://silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/15416?start=24#post76093

I don't believe there is anything else really out there. It has been talked before as mentioned, and should be dealt with in a later version of SS as it is a serious problem.

vstrazz

11 October 2008 at 6:21am

Thanks LeeUmm I'll give this a shot, if anything it's a good starting point.

evren

Community Member, 37 Posts

11 October 2008 at 3:53pm

Edited: 11/10/2008 4:24pm

Not even near but I just (yesterday) created nearly 200 pages and my observations...

After about 100 th page I realized that creating and savin page of panel is becoming a bit slower. Respond time on my server increase from 1 second to 3 second on my last pages.
Not about a change in connection performance.

But thats great for me cos it was about 40 seconds in my bygone CMS :C

I learned some...

1. Do not thick on the drag and drop feature except times you need. Got a bit of effect.

2. Core features and browsing in panel dosent change. But my DB is still small cos Most of my created pages are waiting empty. When I fill them (in a week) DB will be more than 30 MB and I'll see. But experiences up to here, I belive that SS will keep moving in condition.

3. First create the pages and turn back again to fill them. Trying to do it in one step seems taking more time and needs more attention.

4. Now this is quite important.
Start creating site tree from down. I mean from your last (menu order) to beginning (top menu items)
Cos after about 10 main menu items (category) you start to need to scroll down and up in every page you build :D
But it is nice that the Drag n Drop menu tree on SS is quite stable and fast. also moves sub categories with without any error. So you also can start new categories in top then move them anywhere.

5. More than 1000 pages means tons of categories, cub cats and entries. Do not forget that some of templates eg BlackCandy (the default one) dosent support sub menus (in left pane) going more than 3 levels deep.

6. But it is nice that the same BlackCandy wraps the links on the top when they become too much.

Ok ok I'm sure you also know most of these :) but the first 4 item maybe takes your attention.

Regards

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

1 November 2008 at 11:20am

we've got a related feature on our roadmap for 2.4 (http://open.silverstripe.com/roadmap): a new data mapper. This (and other improvements on how to process the tree of pages) will most likely reduce memory consumption and processing time, meaning silverstripe can deal with more pages eventually.