Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

How to change the installation folder

Go to End

6 Posts   4849 Views

evren

Community Member, 37 Posts

15 October 2008 at 11:47pm

Read the topic about moving the host but, I need a simple operation thats why want to ask.

I want to move SS inside my host. Just switching folder. Same installation same server and same template. Just a folder switch.
Now it is installed in public_html/cms folder.
I want to move it to the root public_html folder to have benefits of short URL's Like www.mysite.com/files etc.

What should I do? Need to dump and restore database? Just moving files is enough? Or?

The facts that I know.
* I'll had to edit all the links point to pages under my site.
* Also need to edit gallery and download file locations.
* Edit the .htaccess file "RewriteBase /cms" to "RewriteBase" (please confirm that this is true, Im not sore what to write for root)

What should I do more?
And will it effect stability for usage or adding modules etc?

Regards.

evren

16 October 2008 at 3:59am

Edited: 16/10/2008 4:00am

Hi;

Seems nobody respond. To help people to answer I checked the differences between 2 instalations. (one is root other in sub folder)

Trying to do what I can to get answer cos I need to move site nowadays. It's underconstruction and waiting after move to the SS.

I make 2 different installations on a empty domain and got these.

The files that changed.
assets/error-404.html (just 1 line of address)
mysite/_config.php (only mysql settings)
.htaccess (Just 1 line, address information.)

And

11 lines in database
I'll also try to figure out the differences if needed.

Please check the details in my question. I know some of the steps to do. Except them what to do?

superautomatic

Community Member, 53 Posts

16 October 2008 at 4:19am

"RewriteBase /cms" shold be changed to "RewriteBase /" (not just "RewriteBase).

/jens

evren

17 October 2008 at 1:57am

Thanks superautomatic, I also see it after comparing between 2 installations.

Got most of the steps. Hope somebody will tell the rest. Easy one but I couldnt get answer. My site is waiting broken for 4 days :(

evren

19 October 2008 at 4:03am

Edited: 19/10/2008 4:07am

I dont like, even hate to write this kind of out of topic words, and avoid to do. But now I had to.

Isnt there anyone that knows the answer of this?

Sure there is... What did I make wrong to wait 6 days for an answer for this simple queston?

My first topic was under another question about moving site, it was about moving from localhost to server. I wait some and think that asking under closed topic is wrong then keep moving under this topic.

My site is waiting broken for a week. I love SS but now I'm repent.
But I dont want to make an another CMS move cos my DB is already 60 MB altough with 40 empty waiting pages.

But please I want to know what will happen? If there is no change tell me that nobody will answer you so ok I'll move.

Catchgraphics

Community Member, 12 Posts

2 November 2008 at 3:47pm

Just saw this post as I had the same problem. I moved all the files to the root directory folder (in my case it was mainwebsite_html). I then went into the .htaccess file and changed the following line:

RewriteBase /silverstripe-v2.2.2

to:

RewriteBase /

And the website could then be accessed from the web address (eg www.yourwebsite.com) without having to add the /silverstripe-v2.2.2 onto the address to access the website.

Hope that helps anyone in the future as it worked for me.

Cheers