Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

How to change the installation folder

6 Posts   4332 Views

evren

Community Member, 37 Posts

15 October 2008 at 11:47pm

Read the topic about moving the host but, I need a simple operation thats why want to ask.

I want to move SS inside my host. Just switching folder. Same installation same server and same template. Just a folder switch.
Now it is installed in public_html/cms folder.
I want to move it to the root public_html folder to have benefits of short URL's Like www.mysite.com/files etc.

What should I do? Need to dump and restore database? Just moving files is enough? Or?

The facts that I know.
* I'll had to edit all the links point to pages under my site.
* Also need to edit gallery and download file locations.
* Edit the .htaccess file "RewriteBase /cms" to "RewriteBase" (please confirm that this is true, Im not sore what to write for root)

What should I do more?
And will it effect stability for usage or adding modules etc?

Regards.

evren

16 October 2008 at 3:59am

Edited: 16/10/2008 4:00am

Hi;

Seems nobody respond. To help people to answer I checked the differences between 2 instalations. (one is root other in sub folder)

Trying to do what I can to get answer cos I need to move site nowadays. It's underconstruction and waiting after move to the SS.

I make 2 different installations on a empty domain and got these.

The files that changed.
assets/error-404.html (just 1 line of address)
mysite/_config.php (only mysql settings)
.htaccess (Just 1 line, address information.)

And

11 lines in database
I'll also try to figure out the differences if needed.

Please check the details in my question. I know some of the steps to do. Except them what to do?

superautomatic

Community Member, 53 Posts

16 October 2008 at 4:19am

"RewriteBase /cms" shold be changed to "RewriteBase /" (not just "RewriteBase).

/jens

evren

17 October 2008 at 1:57am

Thanks superautomatic, I also see it after comparing between 2 installations.

Got most of the steps. Hope somebody will tell the rest. Easy one but I couldnt get answer. My site is waiting broken for 4 days :(

evren

19 October 2008 at 4:03am

Edited: 19/10/2008 4:07am

I dont like, even hate to write this kind of out of topic words, and avoid to do. But now I had to.

Isnt there anyone that knows the answer of this?

Sure there is... What did I make wrong to wait 6 days for an answer for this simple queston?

My first topic was under another question about moving site, it was about moving from localhost to server. I wait some and think that asking under closed topic is wrong then keep moving under this topic.

My site is waiting broken for a week. I love SS but now I'm repent.
But I dont want to make an another CMS move cos my DB is already 60 MB altough with 40 empty waiting pages.

But please I want to know what will happen? If there is no change tell me that nobody will answer you so ok I'll move.

Catchgraphics

Community Member, 12 Posts

2 November 2008 at 3:47pm

Just saw this post as I had the same problem. I moved all the files to the root directory folder (in my case it was mainwebsite_html). I then went into the .htaccess file and changed the following line:

RewriteBase /silverstripe-v2.2.2

to:

RewriteBase /

And the website could then be accessed from the web address (eg www.yourwebsite.com) without having to add the /silverstripe-v2.2.2 onto the address to access the website.

Hope that helps anyone in the future as it worked for me.

Cheers