Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Spell checker??

Go to End

8 Posts   3053 Views

markorton

Community Member, 4 Posts

22 October 2008 at 6:46am

I use Firefox (on a MAC) and am used to Firefox performing spell checking automatically. Why is this feature not working when in the edit mode in SS? Is there a spell checking feature in SS?

I am a bad typist so I depend on this spell check feature to keep my material relatively free of silly errors. Firefox is performing this very well right now as I am filling in this form??

Mark

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 October 2008 at 10:36pm

This is a issue with the tinymce editor SilverStripe uses. It overrides right click so it can provide a custom dialog box for the editor window. Not too sure how you would get around that apart from writing the content in word and using spell check in that and pasting it into the CMS.

markorton

23 October 2008 at 3:42am

Thanks, Willr, for the explanation. I also use WordPress quite a bit and have clients using it so I am used to this feature when creating postings and other entries. Obviously not a top priority, but it would be nice to have a spell checker available since this is a tool that is pretty widely expected as part of the suite of editing tools.

Now that I think of it WordPress uses tinymce too. They musyt have a way around this or they are not using a custom dialog box.

Well, thanks again.

Mark

Cy

Community Member, 11 Posts

23 October 2008 at 8:43am

Edited: 23/10/2008 8:45am

Hey Mark,

Try holding down the control key and right clicking. I know this works for Windows. You might try holding down different keys (alt, etc.) while right clicking.

markorton

23 October 2008 at 11:10am

Great.

On my Mac a LEFT click with the Control key held down brings up the contextual menus from the Mac operating system which include "check spelling" - then misspelled word are underlined in red and a LEFT click with Control key returns a suggested correct spelling.

This answers my needs.

Thanks for your follow through.

Mark

drspell

Community Member, 1 Post

10 November 2008 at 9:48am

Firefox has a nice built-in spelling checker, but TinyMCE is defeating it somehow. Allow this to work and this becomes a non-issue. No right-click spelling option that I can see (Windows XP).

This lack of a spelling checker is unfortunate. Poor spelling is inevitable by users and kills site cred. This is almost a deal-killer.

Cy

Community Member, 11 Posts

10 November 2008 at 10:47am

drspell,

See if holding down the control key while right clicking brings up the standard contextual menu. It works for me. Windows Vista/XP, Firefox 3, SS 2.2

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 November 2008 at 10:52am

The pending release which is due within the month will have a new version on TinyMCE which has the spell checker enabled.

You can download the latest code (which has this new version of TinyMCE) from dailybuilds.silverstripe.com or via subversion. Note that this is unstable code so who knows whats broken but if this is a critical