Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Moving the 'Delete' and 'Move Files' buttons

Go to End

24 Posts   55424 Views

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

29 June 2007 at 5:29pm

Re Moving files - if we want to get really freaky and fix this "properly", I think allowing files to be dragged and dropped into the folders on the left hand panel would be the ultimate solution :-)

Probably a lot of work however :P

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

30 June 2007 at 10:54am

> I suggest we replace the check box solution entirely for the deletion of files. As along as we make the deletion "Ajax-y" there won't be any performance issues for the deletion of multiple files. In most situations however, people will only be deleting one or two files so I don't think we need to be overly concerned about this regardless.

But we should add a confirm dialog before files are deleted, right?

> Re Moving files - if we want to get really freaky and fix this "properly", I think allowing files to be dragged and dropped into the folders on the left hand panel would be the ultimate solution :-)

Sean: This sounds fun! :) Should I spend the time required to work on implementing it?

Tim

30 June 2007 at 5:23pm

> But we should add a confirm dialog before files are deleted, right?

Yes we should, it would be good if the alert message said something to the effect of "This file is referenced in X pages, are you sure you want to remove it?"

> Should I spend the time required to work on implementing it?

Go crazy!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

1 July 2007 at 1:16am

Elijah: Sounds good to me, although I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time doing this, since it's only one thing. If it's going to take more than 1-2 days then I'd suggest leaving this until later, since we have a lot of other small usability issues on that list to do. :-)

It's a great idea though. :-)

Cheers,
Sean

elijahlofgren

2 July 2007 at 1:19pm

> Elijah: Sounds good to me, although I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time doing this, since it's only one thing. If it's going to take more than 1-2 days then I'd suggest leaving this until later, since we have a lot of other small usability issues on that list to do. :-)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response. I may take a stab at this on Monday and then evaluate my progress on only plan continuing if I think I can finish on Tuesday. I'll be taking July 4th of to go to a party at a friends house with my family. :)

Cheers,

Elijah

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

2 July 2007 at 8:55pm

Dragging files to the left would be cool, but you definitely want a way of selecting a bunch of files before dragging. For example if you had 50 files in a folder and you were wanting to reorganise them into 5 different folders, you don't want to be dragging each file one by one! This sort of thing is pretty common - people upload all their files to one place and then realise that's a crappy idea ;-)

In standard file managers, this is done by shift or ctrl clicking. In vista, you can tick a bunch of files as well. I suggest that we use a similar interface. Basically, tick a bunch of files and then drag them at once. Perhaps you could shift-click a range? You probably want to show a little message, like "10 files" underneath the cursor when you're dragging. OS X generally does this well - copy that.

We also want to make sure that deleting and dragging are done using compatible mechanisms.

elijahlofgren

3 July 2007 at 3:52am

> Dragging files to the left would be cool, but you definitely want a way of selecting a bunch of files before dragging.

Ok, I will first see if I can get single file drag and drop moving working and if I am successful, I will work on multi file dragging. :)

> In standard file managers, this is done by shift or ctrl clicking. In vista, you > can tick a bunch of files as well. I suggest that we use a similar interface.
> Basically, tick a bunch of files and then drag them at once.

I'll try to remember to boot into Vista and see how this is done.

> Perhaps you could shift-click a range?

Gmail allows this, so and it looks like it probably wouldn't be hard to integrate this code which allows Ctrl or Alt checkbox range selection: http://4umi.com/web/javascript/form.htm

> You probably want to show a little message, like "10 files" underneath the cursor when you're dragging. OS X generally does this well - copy that.

I don't have access to an OS X machine, but I'll plan on adding a message under the dragging indicator if I get drag and drop moving working. I'll plan on asking for feedback on this. ;)

> We also want to make sure that deleting and dragging are done using compatible mechanisms.

As in dragging to a trash can or something? Or should we simply leave the "Delete selected" button and use that for multi-file deleting?

Hoping that I'm able to get dragging and dropping working today,

Elijah :)

Tim

3 July 2007 at 9:13am

I'm really looking forward to seeing this :-)