I was getting pretty frustrated with the Gallery module last weekend when I had to upload over 100 photos to my website. Fortunately, I was able to channel the frustration into something productive, and a few days later, I have a pretty nice, 99% hack-free extension to the Gallery module that makes image-only galleries a lot easier to update and nicer to look at. I'm looking for people to test it out, find the bugs, suggest features, and just all around let me know if it has any legs.
* All photo management done through the front-end. Not in the CMS.
* Built on jQuery framework. No more prototype.
* Uses Shadowbox to display images. Lightwindow is too slow and buggy!
* Extends the SS Gallery module, so it is very lightweight, and there is no duplicate code.
* Facebook-style interface for adding captions after upload.
* Drag-and-drop to reorder your photos right on your website.
* Edit captions from within the gallery view.
* Delete photos from within the gallery view.
* Implements another extension I built for SWFUpload, which allows the fully configurable SWFUploadField Object to be added to front-end forms, bringing benefits such as:
o File size and type is interrogated before file selection (invalid files are greyed out).
o An unlimited number of files can be Ã¢â‚¬Å“shiftÃ¢â‚¬Â or Ã¢â‚¬Å“ctrlÃ¢â‚¬Â clicked at once
o Upload progress is displayed.
o Flash Player 10 compliant.
* Sometimes the cache gets really sticky, and it can appear that no photos have uploaded, but you just have to refresh the page. I have HTTP::set_cache_age(0) set, and it seems to help a lot.
The module is set up on an out-of-the-box Black Candy site at
Click "Image Gallery" to view the page. To get access to the admin features, click "Login" and use: