Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Usability: Removing the 'Go' button from create page drop-down

Go to End

14 Posts   6782 Views

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

21 June 2007 at 10:28pm

I agree that removing the reorganise button is a bad idea. Remember - we're building this for our content authors, not for ourselves! :-)

Regarding Tim's suggestions

(1) and (2) are interesting, it would seem the way to do this would be that you click "reorganise", and this displays "save" and "cancel" buttons that would actually send the reorganisation to the database, or revert it respectively. I don't know how high a priority this is.

(3) is a bit strange inasmuch as it's a totally different publication process from other publication the site. Perhaps a better solution is to make it easier to publish the entire site, or sections of the site? The real problem here, IMO, is that the current publication tool is a bit crap.

(4) would aid reorganisation; however, sometimes it can get weird if an entire UI-element such as the tree jumps around on screen - you wind up losing the page that you were going to reorganise. Perhaps you could do something kind of like the OSX dock, where a bigger amount of space appears when you drag a particular page around.

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

22 June 2007 at 4:49am

Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely won't remove the "Reorder..." button. :)

Regarding (3), I think simply adding a publish all button somewhere in the in Admin allowing all pages to be published (with a nice UI unlike /admin/publishall) would be sufficient.

> Sam: when you click "reorganise", and this displays "save" and "cancel" buttons that would actually send the reorganisation to the database, or revert it respectively.

That sound like a good way of implementing it.

> Tim: make things easier, for people moving pages by increasing the space (padding) between all the nodes
> Sam: where a bigger amount of space appears when you drag a particular page around.

I played around a little bit with trying to increase the size the drop target on hover, but didn't get far. With the changes I tried, it was disconcerting to have the nodes jump around.

Since these are (1), (2), and (4) sound like good things to implement, but are non-trivial, I have added them to my Usability To Do List with a tentative priority of "Low": http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/reordering-needs-improvements/

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 238 Posts

27 June 2007 at 4:32pm

Edited: 27/06/2007 4:32pm

Tim: I take it this feature you requested will now be obsolete:

Description:
===========================
Replace the current "go" buttons with;

Add this page

"Below" "Above" "As a subpage"

Currently all pages are added below a given page which is really annoying.
===========================

elijahlofgren

28 June 2007 at 4:47am

In order to fix this usability issue, I plan to add a Go button to the "Site Reports" drop-down as shown here: http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/images/usability/12-planned-changes.png

I think we all agreed that we should keep the "Go" button and add it to other drop-downs in order to be consistent. :)

elijahlofgren

30 June 2007 at 4:13pm

I've added "Go" button to the "Site Reports" drop-down in the cms gsoc branch:
http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/patches/Fix-Usability-Issue-12-inconsistent-go-buttons-cms-gsoc-r37578.patch
Good night,
Elijah

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

2 July 2007 at 12:28pm

Edited: 11/07/2007 4:34pm

Some of the ideas that are being discussed here relate to something I had a thought about on my last trip to Auckland and have been discussed with Sean. Basically it comes down to doing a bit of an overhaul of that top/left area. The best way to demonstrate it would probably be in a demo but here's an my main goals are to...

a) condense/simplify the add/delete/re-org area
b) allow bulk actions, especially for publishing pages
c) provide consistency to the way things work for adding, saving, deleting pages.

My explanation:

Tim... I actually think the dragging pages without confirmation is good, and you shouldn't confirm this action. I agree you should be able to have the drag n drop functionality disabled to prevent accidental moves, however. A checkbox provides this in a logical fashion.

There are three places to perform page actions
a) on the page itself, were you have Save/Publish, etc. It currently has "Delete" missing. I suggest Delete is added. This provides the buttons used most of the time, especially for novice users, so put all these functions together.

b) in the right-click context menu of the site tree. By adding Delete, Save and Publish we provides a speed up for advanced users, who now don't need to navigate to a page to delete or publish it, saving time and making the product more enjoyable to use.

c) in the "delete" tab. This is where you each item in your site tree turns into a tickbox, allowing batch delete. I suggest we rename this to "Batch Actions" (ideas for better phrasing requested!). This means you can click the "Batch Actions" tab and choose a bunch of pages and then be able to not only delete them, but publish them too. This gives us the Publish All feature we sorely miss from the interface.

d) With the "reorganise" tab gone, it can become search, we basically hides the add-dropdown and re-org tickbox, and replaces it with a simple textbox and [search] button (all on one line), that makes it easier to edit pages from a keyword you know of.

To end, these were ideas Sean and I had come to a basic agreement on for Elijah to work on in the second half of GSOC.

Go to Top