i'm now working a few days with silverstripe, i love it. many thanks for this great cms!
today i run into troubles, because here in switzerland use "umlaut" characters like the ÃƒÂ¤, ÃƒÂ¶, ÃƒÂ¼. as i'm lazy too (don't like to write ä etc. all the time), i'm used to save the files in UTF8.
on the module i'm working on, i created several "core" files (.php) and..
IE wasen't able to display the styled page, only text without any images / css etc.
tracing back the problem, i could figure out the following:
if the rendered page uses two or more .php files saved as UTF8, then the problem occur. with only one .php it's working fine.
tech: for each file more then two the UTF8 BOM (byte order mark) is rendered out to the html.
the work-a-round for me, i changed all my files to iso8859-1 and now it's working as expected.
please note: the problem is only visible in IE, firefox does work with the "malformed" html.
i tried with with silverstripe 2.2.2 and the new 2.2.3, the same behavior.
(please see the attached pdf showing screenshots of the above)