Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Extending the user help

Go to End

2 Posts   2039 Views

walec51

Community Member, 16 Posts

15 November 2008 at 1:45am

Edited: 15/11/2008 1:47am

Hello,

I'm a Computer Science student that has to prepare an E-Learning course to pass one of his exams. I'm also creating SilverStripe-base web sites from time to time as an part time job. So as an consequence of this two fact's I'm thinking of extending the SliverStripe user help to be a more like a web course :)

To be more precise I'm thinking of adding some video material to each chapter, internationalizing it (translating it to polish for starters) and making it more customizable.

Before I start I have some questions:

Would the SilverStripe team and community be interested in helping to plan and develop this type of extension?

Is the current user help on http://userhelp.silverstripe.com/ based on SilverStripe, some other back-end mechanism or is it just plain HTML?

Where can I get its sources?

--
Adam Walczak

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

5 December 2008 at 2:23pm

Hey Adam, sorry for the delay in getting back to you!
You're right, userhelp.silverstripe.com could use some attention - most of it was based on our 2.1 release.

> So as an consequence of this two fact's I'm thinking of extending the SliverStripe user help to be a more like a web course :)
Could you give an small example on how the existing content would change when being used as a "web course". You can already go through all content in a start-to-finish manner, right? Keep in mind that userhelp.silverstripe.com serves as both an intro for new users, and as a reference for existing users who want to look up a specific feature (e.g. "how do i upload images?"). Both use cases have to be catered for.

> To be more precise I'm thinking of adding some video material to each chapter, internationalizing it (translating it to polish for starters) and making it more customizable.
Video sounds good! In terms of translating userhelp: It runs on a SilverStripe installation which is not yet translatable, so I'D suggest you build a polish translation as a separate HTML-site. Once we upgrade userhelp, we could migrate this content into it.

> Would the SilverStripe team and community be interested in helping to plan and develop this type of extension?
Definetly! I think the most helpful to us would be updated screenshots with the 2.3 interface really. Any chance you could have a go at this?