Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

search engines displaying links to secure login pages

Go to End

3 Posts   2017 Views

Jojo

Community Member, 16 Posts

4 December 2008 at 1:40pm

Hi,

Google searches are displaying webpages and pdfs from the secure (log in) side of my website. When the link is clicked, it takes you straight in to the secure page without requiring a login and password. Or it opens the pdf which was linked from a secure side page. How can I protect against Google displaying these in their searches, or at least not allowing access to those pages from a Google search link?

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

4 December 2008 at 8:26pm

That's odd. Are the permissions correct for each page so only logged in users of a group can view it?

The only thing I can think of is if you have a parent page which is protected, but then all children pages aren't. Wild shot in the dark, and probably not correct.

In SS 2.2.x I know there is a bug with the index settings on pages for the sitemap. You can't exclude pages from showing up in the google sitemap (sitemap.xml), however if your pages are probably secure, users shouldn't be able to view the content. They'll show up in the listings, but clicking on it will require them to login. This is fixed in 2.3.

Jojo

Community Member, 16 Posts

4 December 2008 at 8:49pm

Thanks. You were right - I hadn't set the permissions correctly.