Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Blank Pages - SAFE MODE Restriction in effect

Go to End

2 Posts   2531 Views

fratier

3 Posts

11 July 2007 at 6:56pm

Edited: 11/07/2007 8:44pm

When I finish installing it, I get blank pages, so I enable the dev mode, then I get this error:

FATAL ERROR: fopen() [function.fopen]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 32642 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid 0
At line 136 in /home/fratier/public_html/sapphire/core/SSViewer.php

I'm currently running:
PHP version 5.0.5
MySQL version 4.1.21-standard
Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
Safe Mode default on but turned off by a php.ini

EDIT ------------------------------------------------------------
I found that my hosting provider only gives me 16m of memory_limit so I guess it must be that

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

11 July 2007 at 11:20pm

Edited: 11/07/2007 11:20pm

No, the problem seems to be the error you're seeing.... you need permission to access /tmp/ which is excluded by safe mode or perhaps some other issue.

If you cannot get your webhost to do this, then you need to make a new directory that can be written to by the web server and should not be visitable from a web browser. Eg. you might make a folder called /.cache/

You then need to set the cache directory... just look for references for /tmp/ in the code, and change them. Others have done this in the past too.

Finally, your mileage with mem limit 16 may cause you issues and it might be better to move to a host that is running a modern version of PHP (v5.0.5 is very old) and not boxing you into safe mode.