Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Usability improvements in photo/asset part.

Go to End

18 Posts   7701 Views

mateusz

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 27 Posts

16 July 2007 at 11:47am

I'm looking for help to indicate features that I can improve/fix in my second part of GSOC, I suppose that I should start with these document: http://www.silverstripe.com/assets/downloads/UsabilityReport/Silverstripe2.0-expert-review-report.pdf
but if you have some other ideas I would really appreciate to get your opinion.

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

16 July 2007 at 2:24pm

Hi mujma,

If you end up working on stuff from the Usability Report, you will probably find the following pages useful:
Usability To Do List - A list of usability issues that need to be fixed
Usability Items Complete - A list of usability issues that have been fixed.

Let me know if you fix any issues and I'd be glad to add the ability for you to edit the Usability To Do List so that you can mark it as fixed, we can move the list to a wiki or something, or you can just let me know and I'll mark things as fixed.

Thanks for the great work you have done so far,

Elijah

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

16 July 2007 at 2:54pm

Re the files and images insertion, I'd love some feedback on what I've proposed

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

16 July 2007 at 4:15pm

Since I've been using the CMS alot to manage silverstripe.com, my biggest desires are in terms of what lessens my productivity.

Main its from being unable to upload while in the editor. From the point that my cursor is in the editor, flashing away, give me the fewest mouse clicks necessary to have my image in it. E.g.

1. Use the swf upload to allow multiple file uploads, as mentioned a few months ago but reiterated for Tim's sake :) http://swfupload.mammon.se/
2. Automatically insert image once uploaded (why else are you uploading it here!). Be careful with the the interface so that this behavious is expected and intuitive. (E.g. a tickbox like "[x] Insert image once uploaded")
3. When uploading files, let me choose the folder it goes to (and be able to add new folders), so that I don't need to go to the image area just for the sake of keeping my files organised.
4. When image is inserted, downsize it so its not way bigger than the width of my editor (e.g. over say 800px?). Chances are I don't want it this big, and its a pain to reduce the size!

And remember my point above ... fewest clicks to do it...

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

16 July 2007 at 9:03pm

#4 has already been implemented in 2.0.2.

Andy - can you please merge branches/2.0.2 into branches/gsoc as well as branches/2.0?

mateusz

31 July 2007 at 4:08am

In little time I will be working on usability improvements from "PDF" and I have few questions:

Most of things that I have found at http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/usability-to-do-list/ are clear for me but:

#45 – I couldn’t reproduce this “feature” I suppose it no longer exists.

#47 – I’m not sure what can I do here, removing tick boxes is not a good solution for me.

#51,#52,#53 – It has been fixed but in a way that wasn't suggested by usability expert should I do it in a way suggested by expert ?

To Elijah:

#49 – Your improvements of asset part removed this issue ? , I am asking because this feature no longer exist and you didn’t mark it as completed on your website

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

31 July 2007 at 6:37am

> #45 – I couldn’t reproduce this “feature” I suppose it no longer exists.

Agreed. I've marked it as complete. Thanks.

> #47 – I’m not sure what can I do here, removing tick boxes is not a good solution for me.

Indeed, I don't think the checkboxes should be removed. Maybe just some text explaining their purpose would be helpful.

> #51,#52,#53 – It has been fixed but in a way that wasn't suggested by usability expert should I do it in a way suggested by expert ?

"replacing the ‘first’ and ‘last’ links with a series of numbers, similar to the Google navigation controls" sounds like a good idea to me.

> #49 – Your improvements of asset part removed this issue ? , I am asking because this feature no longer exist and you didn’t mark it as completed on your website

Yes, drag and drop file moving eliminated the need for the drop-down. Actually, I think I have already marked it as complete http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/usability-items-complete/#49

Thanks,

Elijah

mateusz

31 July 2007 at 7:00am

> Yes, drag and drop file moving eliminated the need for the drop-down. Actually, I think I have already marked it as complete http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/usability-items-complete/#49

Sorry for inconvenience, I didn't notice that you have already removed it.

Go to Top