Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Rendering modules and widgets...

Go to End

15 Posts   5502 Views

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 August 2007 at 3:59pm

Actually, now that I see it the code Andy made for dollar variables would work well enough for now.

Having it more abstracted to call a widget anywhere is something we can do in the future.

Great work guys!

Sean

laktek

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 76 Posts

2 August 2007 at 4:13pm

Are the widget functions only usable with blog module ?

Curious to test the integration of mashups with widgets...

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 August 2007 at 7:33pm

Edited: 02/08/2007 7:34pm

During our testing at the moment they are, but we're working to make this widget interface something everyone can use. We'll let you know when it's released.

:-)
Sean

laktek

4 August 2007 at 4:44am

I was able to play around with the Widget code on the trunk and it works great! Love the simplicity of the implementation.

I think making widgets available from SiteTree, along with a global widget area editor would be nice.

laktek

4 August 2007 at 11:46am

Edited: 04/08/2007 12:29pm

I know widget editor area is still brewing, so thought of sharing few suggestions to make it more sexy ;)

1. Widget Drag and Drop - Its better to highlight the drop target and create a new instance of drag object while keeping the original object intact. Look at this demo at mootools (http://demos.mootools.net/DragDrop).

2. Ability to configure each widget - I think this is essential. Users should be able to add configuration information using a simple configuration dialog. For example he should be able to configure FlickrWidget with tags, number of photos to show etc.

Andante

Community Member, 231 Posts

6 August 2007 at 12:13pm

The widgets are configurable - I've emailed you the FlickWidget I created based on the mashups code as an example.

laktek

6 August 2007 at 9:42pm

Edited: 06/08/2007 9:46pm

Thanks for the sample.

I was playing with the widgets on a custom theme and I found having a "container div" around the widget would be make styling much easier.

This could be done by changing WidgetHolder.ss to :
[html]
<div class="widgetHolder">
<h3>$Title</h3>
$Content
</div>
[/html]
Another option is to make the widget area as an unordered list.

Go to Top