Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Hiding a class from 'Create' menu.

3 Posts   2030 Views

xmedeko

Community Member, 94 Posts

20 July 2007 at 10:47am

Edited: 20/07/2007 2:47pm

Hi,
I have a parent class 'Product' and a child classes like 'Hotel', 'Activity', etc. I do not want users to create a page of type 'Product'. I have looked into to SS code, so the relevant methods are:

CMSMain::PageTypes()
SiteTree:getClassDropdown()

I see I can hide the class Product if it implements the 'HiddenClass' interface. But then all subclasses would be hidden as well.

There's a weird piece of code in CMSMain::PageTypes(). If the child class has a static variable $hide_ancestor which is equal to the order (number) of a class in the array, which is returned by ClassInfo::getValidSubClasses(), then this class is hidden. And this piece of the code is not implemented in the SiteTree:getClassDropdown().

CMSMain::PageTypes() also check, if the method canCreate(). Which is suitable solution for me, but this is not implemented in SiteTree:getClassDropdown(), unfortunatelly. This is also a mild security issue. If the permission canCreate fails for the current user, he/she can still create a page of another type and then change the type of the page.

So, I've made the followin change:

--- SiteTree.php.orig   2007-07-05 17:20:39.000000000 +1200
+++ SiteTree.php   2007-07-20 11:28:42.000000000 +1200
@@ -694,7 +694,8 @@
      array_shift($classes);
      foreach($classes as $class) {
         $instance = singleton($class);
-         if(($instance instanceof HiddenClass) && ($class != $this->class)) continue;
+         if ((($instance instanceof HiddenClass) || !$instance->canCreate()) &&
+          ($class != $this->class)) continue;

$addAction = $instance->uninherited('add_action', true);
         if(!$addAction) $addAction = "a $class";

However, this does not prevent the user to duplicate the forbidden page :-(

Andy

230 Posts

25 July 2007 at 9:50am

Thanks for this! :)

mallbeury

Community Member, 7 Posts

17 September 2008 at 7:06pm

Hi,

I'm having difficulty with the 'create' menu. I have say 10 templates, including 'NewsHolderPage' and 'NewsPage'. Now if I have my 'NewsHolderPage' page selected in the sitemap of the cms and want to create a new page then I only want 'NewsPage' to be available. Is this possible?

Currently the user gets presented with every template whenever they create a page which is not ideal.

Matt