Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Crate and Reorganise

Go to End

5 Posts   2351 Views

xmedeko

Community Member, 94 Posts

20 July 2007 at 6:30pm

Hi,
when I create a new page, immediately click reorganise, and move the page somewhere else, I got the error "error saving order". This bug seems to be only in SS 2.0.2, not SS 2.0.1. If I save the Page first, and then reorganise it, then it is OK.

BTW. what about to save every page right into DB when it is created? It would solve a few more bugs (userdefined forms, duplicate) and maybe avoid more problems in the future. Also the image editing would be more nicer, without "save and then edit" message.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

22 July 2007 at 6:30pm

Yeah, this would fix a number of bugs, maybe it's the best move.

The downside is that you increase the risk of junk "new page" entries getting left in the database.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

23 July 2007 at 3:54am

"Junk enteries" wouldn't be too much of a problem since they will always show up in your tree, and they won't appear on the live site until you deliberately publish them ...

One thing that's important, though, is that the cost (time wait) of adding a page isn't increased, and I imagine fulfilling that goal will mean coding up this change will be more complicated...

Elijah might be able to do this in GSOC branch ? :P

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

23 July 2007 at 6:45am

I actually ended up doing this same sort of thing to fix Newsletter change detection. Now when new newsletters are created, they are auto-saved to the database to prevent problems with empty Newsletters being sent out if they are never Saved.

> Elijah might be able to do this in GSOC branch ? :P

Sounds good. :) I've filed a ticket to remind myself to do it: http://support.silverstripe.com/gsoc/ticket/57

I look forward to seeing Sam and Sigurd in Portland on Wednesday! :)
(Sigurd, I need to ask my parents which family cellphone to bring so I'll email you the number sometime tonight)

Have a great rest of the weekend,

Elijah

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

24 July 2007 at 6:13pm

Well, the irony is that there's a lot of extra complexity involved in making them not save to the database immediately.

I would recommend that ensure that we don't end up with needless complexity in the final solution, if we change to saving pages when you first click the button.