Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Problems with shared hosting environment....

Go to End

5 Posts   2961 Views

JohnnyO

5 Posts

28 July 2007 at 5:36pm

Edited: 28/07/2007 5:37pm

Hey,

Have had a look around the forums and have managed to sort out a couple of the problems I've run in to with Silverstripe with the latest download (silverstripe-v2.0.2b)

Have been running/ playing about on my laptop but things are not going smoothly when installed in a shared hosting environment - with safe mode and open_basedir restrictions.

I've managed to get silverstripe installed following tips found at http://www.silverstripe.com/general-discussion/flat/1699 - but there are a lot of error messages:

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(../../_ss_environment.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs:/www/virtual/tmp:/usr/local/php5/lib/php) in /www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/sapphire/main.php on line 40

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(../../../_ss_environment.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs:/www/virtual/tmp:/usr/local/php5/lib/php) in /www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/sapphire/main.php on line 40

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/../) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs:/www/virtual/tmp:/usr/local/php5/lib/php) in /www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 50

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/../) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs:/www/virtual/tmp:/usr/local/php5/lib/php) in /www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 64

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs:/www/virtual/tmp:/usr/local/php5/lib/php) in /www/virtual/someSite.co.nz/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 82

I'm no genius and have no idea what/ where _ss_environment.php comes from.

I can get everything looking neat and tidy - hiding these warnings via .htaccess file but things are broken.

When managing Files & Images, I can successfully create a new dir (images) and it looks as though I can create a new sub dir too (images/brands) but as soon as I refresh the admin site, there is no dir - and logging in via FTP, you can't see the dir.

I'm wanting to persist with Silverstripe and figured I could just ftp all these files - which worked fine until I try and use the images. The links within the pages reference a different location eg. assets/images/brands/_resampled/ResizedImage25079-bechstein.gif which doesn't exist.

Anyone able to offer any suggestions/ help!

Thanks.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

30 July 2007 at 5:56am

This is a bit of a hack, but it should give you a fix:
Remove lines 38-44 of main.php - the stuff about envFiles.

We'll need to change this code to only execute if you don't have safe mode / open_basedir set.

JohnnyO

5 Posts

30 July 2007 at 8:50am

Hey thanks Sam.

Removing those lines sorted out the problem with the warnings, but the bigger problem still remains - I'm unable to create subfolders/ upload any assests via the Files & Images section of the admin site.

I don't get any error/ messages to help troubleshoot the problem.

When I try and upload an image the following is displayed:
ERROR:
Error

The website server has not been able to respond to your request.

Thanks in advance!

John

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

30 July 2007 at 9:22am

Edited: 30/07/2007 9:23am

Place this line in your _config.php inside mysite:

Director::set_environment_type('dev');

This should then give you some actual error information so you can either attempt to resolve, or ask again here on the forums. :-)

Hope this helps!

Sean

JohnnyO

5 Posts

30 July 2007 at 9:43am

THat's better - a lot more detail now!

As with all the other problems - related to safe mode restrictions:
FATAL ERROR: copy() [function.copy]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 4596 is

not allowed to access /www/virtual/someSite/htdocs/assets/images owned by uid 33
At line 209 in /www/virtual/someSite/htdocs/sapphire/filesystem/Folder.php

copy(/www/virtual/tmp/phpgmMGcw,/www/virtual/someSite/htdocs/assets/images/1.jpg)
line 209 of Folder.php

Folder->addUploadToFolder(Array)
line 156 of AssetAdmin.php

AssetAdmin->doUpload(Array,Form)
line 108 of Controller.php

Controller->run(Array)
line 48 of Director.php

Director::direct(admin/assets/index/1)
line 100 of main.php
Context

Is there anything constructive I can pass on to the hosting company which will provide a solution? They do seem very reasonable people :)