Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Exclude tests from the standard "stable download"

Go to End

8 Posts   4380 Views

Markus

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 152 Posts

7 August 2007 at 3:49am

I would suggest to exclude the test files (sapphire/selenium, sapphire/simpletest, and maybe also sapphire/tests) of the standard download since most users won't ever use or need those files and it would save some bandwidth and storage and speed up a little bit the manifest building.

This would reduce the size of the download (v2.0.2b) from 2.03 MB to approx. 1.80 and save almost 1 MB after unpacking it.

What do you think about this idea? Nevertheless you could offer a separate archive with those test files.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

7 August 2007 at 9:34am

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Anything to get the download more lightweight is worth doing, especially when such files are not being used that often.

Cheers!
Sean

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

7 August 2007 at 11:05am

They're currently not used as part of our build process. We're going to be setting up a suite of tests based on PHPUnit shortly.

Until there are more than a couple of test files, I think that removing them from the distribution is premature optimisation. You'd get a lot more mileage, for instance, in removing the TinyMCE plug-ins / languages that we don't use! :-)

xmedeko

Community Member, 94 Posts

7 August 2007 at 11:24am

Can you make the these PHPUnit tests (or some usable core of them) also public, after you set up them?
Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 August 2007 at 4:29pm

removing the TinyMCE plug-ins / languages that we don't use!

ooh please do :P.. I really hate ftping tiny_mce!!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

7 August 2007 at 6:09pm

Edited: 07/08/2007 6:12pm

If we're not using something, why should it be in there? Especially if it reduces the file size of the download by a couple of hundred KB. Sam, will we be removing these eventually in favour of PHPUnit or keeping them in there?

Having TinyMCE more modular would be helpful. That massive batch of language support files is irritating to say the least when uploading via FTP. Agreed Will! :p

Cheers,
Sean

Markus

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 152 Posts

7 August 2007 at 8:55pm

Edited: 07/08/2007 8:56pm

> You'd get a lot more mileage, for instance, in removing the TinyMCE plug-ins /
> languages that we don't use! :-)

> If we're not using something, why should it be in there?
> Especially if it reduces the file size of the download by a couple of hundred KB.

Well, I think it would be also a good idea to remove the unused TinyMCE plug-ins but since Bernat is working on localization of the whole system in my opinion it would be a step backwards by removing the language files.

Another important aspect is that by removing unused files we not only reduce the file size but also the attack surface!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

7 August 2007 at 11:25pm

> Having TinyMCE more modular would be helpful.
i think TinyMCE is *too* modular, that's why they have 5,000 files for a friggin javascript editor ;)