Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Retiring the Mum Test

Go to End

5 Posts   2567 Views

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

17 September 2007 at 11:01am

Edited: 17/09/2007 11:02am

One of our main aims for SilverStripe is that it is substantially easier that other systems to install, build, and maintain your website, especially for the challenge of sites that can be visually and functionally really interesting. To convey this idea we came up with the line "simple enough for your mum to use", and although it was meant in completely good faith, a few people have emailed saying they found this offensive and uninspiring.

We had the suggestion that would make our site randomly choose any family member (mum, dad, brother, sister, niece, nephew, neighbour, grandma, granddad, cousin, uncle, aunty, son, daughter), but it'd nice to not offend any group of people ... PBWiki offers the humorous line "as easy as making a Peanut Butter sandwich", and we'd tend to agree with a Linux.com article that we should come up with something informative, inspiring and humourous. Keep posted.

Shiny

Community Member, 7 Posts

17 September 2007 at 11:27am

excellent!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

18 September 2007 at 12:25pm

Edited: 18/09/2007 12:26pm

What about just "simple enough for anyone to use"?

Sean

becs027

1 Post

23 September 2007 at 7:09pm

What about "for people not geeks" - not very original but self deprecating which could be a plus :)

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

24 September 2007 at 10:35am

Edited: 24/09/2007 10:36am

I've gone with "anyone" to use, as an interim solution (I'm a bit busy to give it more thought!).

As I mentioned in my first post I wanted to replace putting a negative attribute on anyone. At the same time I'd like to come up with a statement talks more than just simplicity. SilverStripe is a tool that is deliberately;

a) designed for website developers to build websites (easy for web developers). It is easy for non-web-developers to get SilverStripe installed with a standard look and functionality, however a lot of the power comes from utilising your knowledge of HTML, JS and PHP to customise the system. The point is, the phrase "simple enough for anyone to use" isn't quite appropriate.

b) designed for the broader set of people to manage a website, once built. Its appropriate to think of this being "anyone" in the sense of anyone who uses the internet, writes an office document, and uses email.