Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Javascript: Behaviour.js

8 Posts   2423 Views

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

24 September 2007 at 5:43am

2 more questions on javascript:

1) How can I turn off jsvalidation that is part of the standard contactform? I noticed there's some 255k js involved, a bit much for a simple contact form... so I could better use my own validation...

2) Where can I read about this behaviour.js-file, how to use it for event-handling.. etc.. ? If in some cases do keep SS's way of validation and included javascript, I don't want to use the library I'm used to use (YUI). It's a bit stupid to include 2 libraries that probably can handle the same stuff...

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

24 September 2007 at 1:33pm

Edited: 24/09/2007 1:36pm

> I noticed there's some 255k js involved, a bit much for a simple contact form
fair point. the key here is enabling gzip-compression on the server, then its only a fraction of that size.

> Where can I read about this behaviour.js-file
it developed pretty much in parallel to the popular behaviour-script (http://bennolan.com/behaviour), but included some SS-specific stuff like Class-handling.
unfortunately its not fully documented, but you can have a look [url=http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=javascript]at the wiki[url].

customizing javascript-validation to use your own javascript is pretty easy: just selectively clear requirements in the init()-method of your controller and add your own stuff (http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=requirements).

class Page_Controller extends ContentController() {
function init() {
parent::init();
Requirements::clear('jsparty/prototype.js');
Requirements::javascript('mysite/javascript/yui.js');
// ...
}
}

of course you have to attach your own javascript-behaviour to the form/formfields this way.
the silverstripe-specific php-validation will still kick in though.

dio5

25 September 2007 at 4:33am

Ok, thanks.

I actually want to know if there are some built-in functions/methods that can handle cross-browser issues such as event-handling and stuff..

With the YUI -library I can say for example:

YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(element, event, function)

It makes crossbrowser issues easy..

Ingo

25 September 2007 at 8:22am

hm, nothing "built-in" to silverstripe - we're mostly using external libraries, such as prototype.
see http://prototypejs.org/api (just be aware that the prototype.js included by default in silverstripe is a customized 1.4rc1, rather than the current 1.6)

dio5

5 October 2007 at 2:37am

Ingo,

class Page_Controller extends ContentController() {
function init() {
parent::init();
Requirements::clear('jsparty/prototype.js');
Requirements::javascript('mysite/javascript/yui.js');
// ...
}
}

this approach doesn't seem to work when using 'new RequiredFields()'. It always seems to throw in the SS-javascript.

Any ideas of how to get that out?

Ingo

5 October 2007 at 6:50am

hm, your code looks ok. formfields are usually constructed after your init()-call, which means that the prototype-requirement could be re-added after clearing. there's no way in 2.1 to prevent this afaik - i've written a simple Requirements::block()-function in some internal sapphire-branch, but this hasn't been merged back yet.
you can try to clear requirements directly before rendering anything (or returning the form in your case).

dio5

5 October 2007 at 7:02am

Yeah, I tried doing the clears right after the new requiredfields but that didn't do the trick either..

I'm afraid it is not possible.

I guess I'm probably going to end up leaving out requiredfields, and do the test on my form-save method myself.

I guess I still keep the SS- numeric and email validation anyway, no? I suppose the 'new requiredfields' only checks if there is a value, no matter which?

tareq1

Community Member, 2 Posts

18 September 2008 at 6:42pm

Hi Sean,

I am doing Search page , so i m trying add your javascript code for onclick event but its not able to executing that code i did all the same process as u post in the Forum to Nicolaas reply.

Thanking you.

waiting for your reply.

Tareq :)