Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Make forms 'Ajaxy'

3 Posts   1534 Views

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

29 September 2007 at 10:37am

I'm going to want some forms of mine enhanced with ajax.

Now I know how to do this the normal way, but haven't got a single clue on how to do it in SS. Where should I send my request to? To the controller.php? Or do I make a complete new controller for it?

I also came across 'FormResponse' and 'AjaxActionForm' but the documentation didn't make me a lot wiser... Is there anybody here with some experience / or some examples?

And if you know the answer, please take a look at what I'm doing wrong here: [url]http://www.silverstripe.com/silverstripe-development/flat/5780?showPost=6157#post6157[/url]

Thanks!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

29 September 2007 at 1:43pm

Hm, just use the normal form action thats generated by the form, submitted by an ajax-call instead of a normal POST-request (e.g. by prototype's Ajax.Request-object).

AjaxFormAction isn't really needed for this, afaik its mostly specific to the backend where all "normal" actions in a form are processed a bit differently to build the "button-bar" you see in the interface.

FormResponse is a nice wrapper that lets you create responses for ajax/non-ajax calls (e.g. returning json vs. a full html-page). it determines automatically the format you need, and has some other useful functions like refreshing a cms-form with reapplying javascript-behaviour.

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=formresponse

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

29 September 2007 at 8:45pm

Mm, I'll give it a try the 'normal way'. Don't run too far as I'll probably be coming back on this one :-)

I looked into formResponse but it didn't make me a lot wiser... and when I clicked the documentation-link I was presented with an login - box.