Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Use SilverStripe as a API from DOT NET?

Go to End

3 Posts   2313 Views

philip142au

7 Posts

1 October 2007 at 1:25pm

Hi All,

I wish to use SilverStripe as a back end to my simple front end CMS.

Is there any way to use the functionality of SilverStripe as a API? Such as create a page, show history for a page etc?

Another question, has anyone got SilverStripe to work under Phalanger http://www.php-compiler.net/doku.php?

Thanks, Philip

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

2 October 2007 at 1:02am

phew, theoretically silverstripe is divided into a core framework (sapphire), and an UI-layer building on top of it (jsparty/cms). as we're developing the two pretty much in parallel, the ties and interdependencies are stronger than we might like in some areas.

meaning: you could use the controller/model part with custom rendering, but you'd still have to worry about things like form-rendering/handling which is naturally tied between the layers.

a .NET-frontend would certainly be an interesting thing to see, but i doubt that using a script-based php-framework tailored towards CMS outweighs the advantages of having a native .NET-MVC-framework (quick googling got me: sprint.NET, maverick.NET, openSEAL)

rusty

Community Member, 1 Post

29 November 2007 at 1:54am

I appreciate the candid response. I havea dotnet app and desire an api based content management system.
There are two native dotnet Open Source CMS projects that look promising:
Umbraco
Eucalypto

Both have their own merits. The former being a mature CMS platform with vibrant community and an API, the latter being no more than a provider pattern based object model with significant capabilities and limitless flexibility (its just a content domain model with configurable providers)

I've been experimenting with both and am currently using Eucalypto because of stringent, dynamic and complex url rules that my website has.

Good luck