Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Use SilverStripe as a API from DOT NET?

3 Posts   1799 Views

philip142au

7 Posts

1 October 2007 at 1:25pm

Hi All,

I wish to use SilverStripe as a back end to my simple front end CMS.

Is there any way to use the functionality of SilverStripe as a API? Such as create a page, show history for a page etc?

Another question, has anyone got SilverStripe to work under Phalanger http://www.php-compiler.net/doku.php?

Thanks, Philip

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

2 October 2007 at 1:02am

phew, theoretically silverstripe is divided into a core framework (sapphire), and an UI-layer building on top of it (jsparty/cms). as we're developing the two pretty much in parallel, the ties and interdependencies are stronger than we might like in some areas.

meaning: you could use the controller/model part with custom rendering, but you'd still have to worry about things like form-rendering/handling which is naturally tied between the layers.

a .NET-frontend would certainly be an interesting thing to see, but i doubt that using a script-based php-framework tailored towards CMS outweighs the advantages of having a native .NET-MVC-framework (quick googling got me: sprint.NET, maverick.NET, openSEAL)

rusty

Community Member, 1 Post

29 November 2007 at 1:54am

I appreciate the candid response. I havea dotnet app and desire an api based content management system.
There are two native dotnet Open Source CMS projects that look promising:
Umbraco
Eucalypto

Both have their own merits. The former being a mature CMS platform with vibrant community and an API, the latter being no more than a provider pattern based object model with significant capabilities and limitless flexibility (its just a content domain model with configurable providers)

I've been experimenting with both and am currently using Eucalypto because of stringent, dynamic and complex url rules that my website has.

Good luck