Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

urlParams

6 Posts   3147 Views

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

3 October 2007 at 10:04am

Hi,

could someone explain the use of urlParams to me? I've been looking through the docu but can't find it.

It looks like it's being used as $_GET or $_POST, but don't know the details.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

3 October 2007 at 11:05am

Edited: 03/10/2007 11:08am

More specifically, what are you referring to?

urlParams is used like $this->urlParams['Action'], which produces 'myaction' from mysite.com/home/myaction

So, you can then make a method myaction() on the controller you called that action from. This method is proceessed whenever the action is called.

You can use Debug::show($this->urlParams) on a controller to find out what you've got available based on your URL. It's extremely useful for parameters like mysite.com/news/category/1. In this case 'category' is an action, and 1 is an ID - urlParams['Action'] and urlParams['ID'] appropriately

Does this answer some questions?

TODO: Documentation on urlParams ;-)

Sean

dio5

3 October 2007 at 11:13am

Edited: 03/10/2007 11:21am

Yes, that was more or less what I was searching for.

I was looking for how to get that 'number' out of the url in mysite.com/news/category/1.

Is any number coming after an action automatically referred to as urlParams['ID'], or do I have to set it as an urlParam before I can access it as urlParam (... this probly sounds weird :-) )
?
Got it... it's automatic!

dio5

3 October 2007 at 11:20am

Ok, great! Got it now.. :-)

dio5

5 October 2007 at 3:52am

Hey,

what if I wanted this:

mysite.com/news/category/nature

Could I still access 'nature' as an URLParam['ID'] or would that mean nature has to be an action too?

I suppose I could make it 'number'-based, but for simplicity and SEO's sake it would be better to have the names...

Any ideas?

Matt

Core Development Team, 84 Posts

12 October 2007 at 9:15am

Nope, ID is anything in that place - it doesn't necessarily have to be a number.